Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I tried disconnecting the 7260 AC card and the problem still occurs.

That, together with memory.dmp file, leads me to believe it's a video card problem.

I'm not sure I understand the concept of having 2 video cards with no means to switch between the two.

HP Recommended

Kubinder,  i think youre looking at a video driver issue.  Since you were able to examine the memdump i assume you have already reinstalled vcard driver?  You might also run a Vcard mem test to see if it will consistently fail it.  It sounds like your specific issue might not be as common of a problem, which may mean you have a legitimate hardware failure. 

If your Zbook is like mine, it has 2 vcards and there are some "switchable graphics" options you might want to play with.

At first i thought my issue was related to the switchable graphics but after more troubleshooting the vcard wasnt my issue. 

HP Recommended

If you have the right driver installed, there are some flakey options to disable the switchable graphics.    I wasnt impressed with the switchable graphics options myself because it didnt seem like i could completely disable it.  After digging around for more informaiton it seemed like certain drivers had better options for disabling the switching.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if this can be called a fix but it's currently working and here's what I did to get it working -

1. Disable automatic driver update. 

(My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings)

I selected "Never install driver software from Windows Update". I did this because Windows Update seemed to keep installing the wrong card - Radeon 8500 or something)

2. Uninstall ATI drivers and software (Program Features)

Might only be "ATI Catalyst...."

3. Uninstall drivers for both video cards (Device Manager > Uninstall)

Be sure to check the box for "Delete the driver software for this device"

4. Download the latest BETA ATI driver.

For me, this was version "13.25.18.1" - http://www2.ati.com/drivers/firepro/performance/13.25.18.1-beta-mobile-165762-hp.exe

5. Download the latest Intel 4400 driver. (listed as Intel® Iris™ and HD graphics Driver for Windows 7/8/8.1* 64)

For me, this was version "15.33.8.64.3345" - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23405&ProdId=3719&lang=eng

6. Extract the drivers to separate folders. I downloaded the .zip files instead of exe's so I could install nothing but the drivers.

7. Update the ATI card driver first.

Device Manager > Basic Display Adapter (something like that), mine was showing  Error Code 31) > Driver > Update Driver > Browse for drivers on my computer > (location of extracted Intel driver)

The ATI card should no longer show an error in device manager.

8. Next, update the Intel card driver.

Device Manager > Basic Display Adapter (the only display adapter left),  > Driver > Update Driver > Browse for drivers on my computer > (location of extracted ATI driver)

The Intel card should no longer show an error in device manager.

9. Enable Deep sleep again in bios (if you disabled it)

---------------

After this I tested the sleep by clicking Power > Sleep. Then hitting the power button and then powering it back on.

Please post back if this fixes your problem. It'll help me determine if this is really a solution.

HP Recommended

I initially had the Video Card DX error on boot for windows 8.1 but by manually installing the drives this is resolved. But the sleep problem is still there. Just cannot get the laptop to wake. I did all the nessesary suggestions on this forum, also updated the bios to the latest 1.07.  If I change the sleep settings in the bios all it does is goes to sleep wakes up by restarting the laptop and anything you have open is lost. It either never wakes and needs a full power off or it just wakes and restarts and I lose work. This is a serious flaw as if I am working on a project and after 15-20 mins of inactivity the laptop sleeps I will loose my work. So for now I have set the options to never sleep until HP sort this out. Zbook is a business workstation laptop which needs rapid support for professionals.  Please HP sort it out. 

HP Recommended

Workfolow you describe, works with Windows 7. I have Windows 8.1, so I have installed lastest Windows 8 drivers for ATI videocard (beta drivers does not work). Every other steps i did as you write.

Before these steps, every wakeup restarts my zbook. After these steps my zbook sometime restarts sometime it wors perfectly.

HP Recommended

@Giotecno, @Vinio -

What does your device manager say for display adapters (Device name, driver date, version, provider) ?

I'm using Windows 8.1. There are 2 adapters:

AMD Firepro M4100 FireGLV

-  AMD, 12/4/2013, 13.250.18.1000

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

- Intel Corporation, 10/31/2013, 10.18.10.3345

HP Recommended

Got it working!!!!

AMD Fire pro drivers

Intel HD Drivers

What I did is uninstall all the video drivers for both cards. I also removed both the catalyst center for amd and the intel hd graphics software suite from the machine.

After windows only recognising generic drivers. I manually installed the drivers that came from HP (not amd or intel website) I didnt run the setup files I extracted the driver downloads and just installled the drivers with no software.

No Sleep works every time and I no longer get the video DX error or anything. Even my Widi works properly. hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Kubinder The intel driver you have seems to be a newer one that might have been installed via windows update or if you updated via intel I dont know but it definilty causes an issue with sleep. Just use the ones that HP provides and try doing manual installs and it all works.

HP Recommended

Strangely enough, the Intel driver I posted is the one that worked for me. The one installed from Windows Update didn't work.

Then again, Windows update installed the wrong ATI card driver (for a totally different ATI card).

Glad you got it working.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.