Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ZBook15 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

According to SanDisk support, the SD8SN8U-256G-1122 is the appropriate M.2 SSD, so I purchased it.  Of course, it is 80mm and the G2 is designed for 60mm.  Because 60mm is impossible to find, and because another poster claimed to have made the 80mm work, I decided to see if I could.

Installing it was simple, minus the hold-down screw.  However, no combination of BIOS settings I could think of allowed the drive to be "seen," neither by Acronis when I tried to restore an image, nor by Windows 7 when I installed an HD as the boot drive.

Hoping someone can explain what combinations of settings and/or utilities I need to have the drive recognized.

Thank you very, very much.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Please go to F2 UEFI Diagnostic can find the drive and test it. You can also check if the boot order displays the drive. There i s no speicific setting in F10 Setup to enable it and the BIOS wil detect the drive automatically. The drive is not qualified for this ZBook 15 G2 so you can use it at your ownn risk.

HP Recommended

In this case , Could you confirm that the SSD is dected in the disk management ?

HP PCs - Partitioning and Naming Hard Drives (Windows 7)

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01861974

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!

r- K

Karthikeyan S
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I had tried that already and, no, nothing seems to find the drive, including that utility.  I wondered if, as I read in another post, if only PCiE is recognized (documentation at the time I bought the computer said "PCiE or SATA is automatically detected) now as reflected in updated documentation.  I contacted HP Business Support and, believe it or not, they couldn't tell me.  At this point, though I still have the exact same need, I have given up, returned the device, and installed the O/S on a standard mechanical drive.  If I do get an answer of some way to get an m.2 drive to function for boot, I will revisit this.  Very frustrated, and as a re-seller of HP products for more than 12 years, frustrated with HP and its support again...and again...and again.

HP Recommended

No, disk management does not find the drive, nor is it found by Acronis when I try to restore a saved image.  I have done all I know to do, including searching for and trying various (even unrelated posts) suggestions having to do with BIOS configuration.  As I posted seconds ago, I am suspicious that only PCiE drives are recognized and I know this one is SATA III, but I cannot get even HP Business Support to confirm or deny.  Once upon a time, documentation stated "PCiE or SATA is automatically detected."  Now, according to one poster, that has been updated to say "PCiE is automatically detected."

HP Recommended

Could you confirm that you have updated the 

SanDisk SSD Firmware Update

Type:Firmware
Version:A200A06 Rev.A(1 Jul 2016)
Operating System(s):
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) | View all
File name:sp76401.exe (6.2 MB)

Link : http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=6978815&swItemId=ob_169460_1&swEnvOid=405...

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!

R- K 

Karthikeyan S
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Tried this also.  As expected, it returned a message saying, "No device can be found."

By the way, I want all of you to know I truly appreciate these attempts to help me!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.