Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Zbook 15 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

New laptop but FN Keys not working properly. I have seen a few comments about this already but no real fix.

I have tried three versions of software, 6.2.17.1, 6.2.18.1 and 6.2.20.8, SP74473, and sp76021.

The brightness keys and Microphone keys do not work. Audio volume does however.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@fellede

Welcome to the HP Community Forum - we are a community of HP enthusiasts!

@fellede wrote:

New laptop but FN Keys not working properly. I have seen a few comments about this already but no real fix.

I have tried three versions of software, 6.2.17.1, 6.2.18.1 and 6.2.20.8, SP74473, and sp76021.

The brightness keys and Microphone keys do not work. Audio volume does however.

These may end up being no more than "more comments without a fix" -- perhaps it will help.

Consider

I have a ZBook 17 G3 -- issue similar to your own and worse in that the HD audio has been especially flakey recently.

Flakey:  Audio working / not working / high-pitched screech at boot and/or loud speaker crackle / audio driver randomly disappears (wherein at least that annoying microphone light goes off) / audio driver randomly "appears" with or without crackle / screech at boot / microphone "disabled" light.

Brightness FN keys not functional.

BIOS is at current for this model (1.09).

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

What appears to have worked on ZBook 17 G3...

• Create a Restore Point

• If the Conexant Audio driver is listed in the Device Manager > Uninstall AND Delete Driver > 
  • Reboot and log in

• If the Hotkey driver is listed in Programs and Features > uninstall it (do not reboot)

• Install the Audio Driver > Reboot and log in
  • Install the Hotkey Driver > Reboot and log in

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

NOTES:

This is a "previous" Audio driver (not most recent).

Audio Driver Information sheet:

sp74197.html

Hotkey Information sheet:

sp76021.html

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Results at writing:

• Audio now works as expected - no screeching, crackle - speakers present and functional
  • Microphone lists as functional and enabled in Playback Devices > Recording
  • Brightness function keys work down/up (FN + F5 / FN + F6 on my ZBook 17 G3)

So far - so good.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragonfly but this did not work for me.

After following your directions (twice) I had Conexant SmartAudio driver date 12/1/215 V. 8.65.127.0 with HP Hotkey Support version 6.2.20.8. 

Same issue with the brightness Keys (FN + F5 / FN + F6 ) and the microphone disable key (FN + F10) no functionality.

The Microphone itself is functional.

HP Recommended

@fellede

@fellede wrote:

Thanks Dragonfly but this did not work for me.

After following your directions (twice) I had Conexant SmartAudio driver date 12/1/215 V. 8.65.127.0 with HP Hotkey Support version 6.2.20.8. 

Same issue with the brightness Keys (FN + F5 / FN + F6 ) and the microphone disable key (FN + F10) no functionality.

The Microphone itself is functional.

Rats.  I am sorry to hear that.

Consider / Try:

• Suggest that you uninstall the Audio Driver and click box to delete the driver >
  • When the uninstall procedure is complete...
  • Uninstall the Hot Key software from Programs and Features >
  • Download and install the Chipset Driver from your computer's Website Support page >
  • When the Chipset driver installation is complete, Restart the computer >
  • Right-Click on the Conexant installation package, select "Run as Administrator" >
  • When the installation is complete (takes a while), Install the Hot Key software package >
  • Restart the computer and log in >
  • Wait a few minutes and then check results

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

If you are still having the problem, I think you can get the HP Restore DVD and install the HP OS image. Before doing this, please install the latest BIOS v1.11 and set factory defult settings. And then update all of drivers using Softpaq Doenload Manager.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.