Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z Book 15 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
When my Z Book is docked and the lid closed, I cannot get it to boot because the machine stops at the BitLocker screen, waiting for my code entry. Unfortunately, the docking station hasn't been activated yet, so both the display and keyboard are "dead".
The only work-around is to plug an external keyboard directly into the notebook - and then "blind-type" my BitLocker code. Once the machine boots, everything is the way it should be.
This is a clumsy way to do things - can't we get some sort of boot option to send the video to an external monitor and activate the dock? If the dock has a MAC address, maybe it could be locked to the tpm in this fashion?
BTW - all drivers and firmwares are up-to-date.
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Sounds like you haven't changed the thunderbolt security level to no security in BIOS.

HP Recommended

Please check two BIOS settings. The first one is to disable "Fast Boot" and the second one is to set Thundebolt Security Level to SL0 (No Security). This wil eneble to work the PresOS Boot. Even if these two settings are set and it did not work, I would recommend to change "SecureBoot and Legacy Boot" setting > Save and Exit > Go to F10 Setup > Restore the "SecureBoot and Legacy Boot" setting.

I work for HP. All opinions and comments are my own.

HP Recommended

Thank you both for your feedback - next cold-boot, I'll enter the BIOS and check these items.

This is the first I read about the setting that would allow the pre-boot activity of the Thunderbolt unit.

I had read plenty about pre-boot but it never addressed the Thunderbolt Dock

if this works - I will flag as solution -give me a few days...

HP Recommended

OK Gents,

I have re-verified all of the settings you recommended and there is NO change.

Symptom is:

During a Cold-Boot situation.

On/OFF button from the laptop can turn on the Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station, but the ON/OFF button from the docking station cannot turn on the laptop.

This requires the user to remove the laptop, open the lid, power it on and enter the Bitlocker code.

once that is done, then the Thunderbolt 3 becomes active (after the drivers load, etc.).

This is not a "comfortable" solution, and fixing this should be easy-peasy - not a pain in the butt. Why can't HP solve this?

Do they really think that people do not have the need to turn on a laptop that has its lid closed?

This should be the most "normal" use of a docked laptop existing.

I have owned over 13 Laptops personally and 8 professionally - they could ALL do this, no problem.

HP Recommended

I do not have Bitlocker on any G3 computer myself so I can test this. But it sounds very strange that you cannot power on the computer with the dock power button.

Does the same thing happen on several different dock stations?

HP Recommended

Sorry, but I don't perform IT services for my whole section, so I do not have the luxury of testing several different units in a lab mock-up scenario.

All I have is my, brand-new system. Which I'm pretty sure is all functioning without a defect such as bad cable pins, etc.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.