Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a compaq presario cq57 laptop with windows 7 and internet explorer 9  Every time I try to update programs and or download an attachment when i click on open or save I get a message that file could not be downloaded  and it will give me the option to retry or cancel but will not download. doesnt matter what kind of file ie pdf  adobe ucam update and even some windows update. What do I need to change??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Just so that I'm certain on this, do you mean Windows 7 64bit with Service Pack 1?

Also, you should be able to create a set of Recovery DVDs for your notebook - see the guide Here. - you may need at least 5 blank DVDs for this.

One way to solve this download issue may be to run Windows System Restore as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Windows System Restore is usually best run in Safe Mode.  Tap away at f8 as you start the notebook to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.  When this has loaded, from the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point before at least 24 hours the HP/Windows updates on the 18th and then proceed with the restore process.  When complete, Windows will reboot as normal.

If the above corrects the problem, as Windows Defender is really just an AntiSpyware utility, so you should consider installing an Antivirus application such as the free Microsoft Security Essentials.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

You could try resetting Internet Explorer as follows - be aware that this will remove Bookmarks and Saved Passwords etc.

Open windows Control Panel, open Internet Options, click the Advanced tab and then click the Reset button.  Click 'Yes' or 'Ok' to any further prompts required to complete the process.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

sorry didnt work    about had it with this problem!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.  Restart the notebook.

When windows has fully reloaded, again click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  Into the prompt, type the following commands, hitting enter after each command.  Include spaces in the commands where shown.

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

When complete, type exit and hit enter, then restart the notebook and check if downloads now complete successfully.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, another area worth checking is whether there is any problem with the Layered Service Providers on the PC - although problems with these usually cause no connection at all.  You can do this by downloading LSP-Fix on the link below.  Save this to your Desktop.  This is a stand-alone application so you can just delete it afterwards.

LSP-Fix

When download, right click the application and select 'Run as Administrator'.  If everything is ok with your LSPs you will see green writing stating this.  If it does detect a problem, post back with the error.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Well nothing fixed and cant download the lsp-fix so guess I am screwed.  Got this puter as gift and do not have any of the operating disc or program disc.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can download  LSP fix on another computer and just transfer the file to your notebook in order to run it.

Also, try the following.

Shut down the notebook. Tap away at f8 as you start up to access Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select 'Safe Mode with Networking' and hit enter.  Let windows fully load in this mode and see if you can now download files etc - only choose a known 'safe site' such a Microsoft or HP as your security software will not be running while in this mode.  To exit Safe Mode, simply restart the notebook in the usual way and Windows will start normally.

Let me know the result.  Also let me know what security software is installed on the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

LSP-Fix did not find any problems and I can download in safe mode with networking. Downloaded a pdf file and it also took the lsp-fix in safe mode. I am running windows defender as the security antivirus software Have windows 7 with service pack 2 64bit. Everything was working fine until sometime before the 18th the computer ran some automatic updates from microsoft and hp.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Just so that I'm certain on this, do you mean Windows 7 64bit with Service Pack 1?

Also, you should be able to create a set of Recovery DVDs for your notebook - see the guide Here. - you may need at least 5 blank DVDs for this.

One way to solve this download issue may be to run Windows System Restore as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Windows System Restore is usually best run in Safe Mode.  Tap away at f8 as you start the notebook to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.  When this has loaded, from the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point before at least 24 hours the HP/Windows updates on the 18th and then proceed with the restore process.  When complete, Windows will reboot as normal.

If the above corrects the problem, as Windows Defender is really just an AntiSpyware utility, so you should consider installing an Antivirus application such as the free Microsoft Security Essentials.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

thanks for all your help  there is no restore point prior to the 18th  Whatever the update done it reset all my restore dates so all I have is after the point when the problem started. I guess I am going to have to hire someone to fix. All of my work emails contain attachments usually pdf or excel and xml files

I cant even update my youcam software lol and it has a critical update pending

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following

Boot into 'Safe mode with Networking' and download the installers for the free versions of MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware on the links below - save these to your Downloads folder.

MBAM

SUPERAntiSpyware

When the downloads have completed, restart the notebook and let Windows boot normally.  Open your Downloads folder and run the installer MBAM by right clicking it and selecting 'Run as Administrator' - let the installation complete and then repeat the process for SUPERAntiSptware.

When both applications have been installed, run full scans with both these utilities - if any malware is detected, remove/quarantine it and run the scan again until both applications come back clean.

Let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.