Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I tried playing a network game with a new system.   The hoste system loaded the game and some of the clients did log on to the network well but there were others which did not "direct3d initialazation error #4".   Grateful for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Shawnn

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@daga,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues while playing a network game wherein you get an error message "direct 3d initialization error #4".

This issue could occur if the display drivers are corrupted.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you listed below:

Uninstall and reinstall the display driver: 

1. First, open Device Manager. 

2. Find Display adapters and click to expand it. 

3. Right-click the display card driver and click Uninstall in the context menu. 

4. Windows will ask you to confirm the removal of the device, so click OK to remove the driver. 

5. After the uninstallation is complete, you’ll need to restart the computer in order to load the default display drivers. 

6. Now you just need to visit your graphic card manufacturer’s website and install the driver for your graphic card

Also, try connecting a different monitor if you have an extra monitor. 

Let us know which game are you playing and also try playing a different game and check.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I just uninstalled and reinstalled; was not successful.   

It was requested that I install Direct x to play the game (TUROK 2).   After I did with all the systems four were able to network while the other four are giving me this error.   Other network games are working fine.

I am thinking that it might be the instellation of the Direct x not done well for some of the systems.   Could this be it?   If so how do I uninstall the direct x software?

Daga 

HP Recommended

"Could not switch to requested screan resolution" forms part of the error message I am getting.   

HP Recommended

@daga,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

This issue could occur if the DirectX is not installed properly on your computer

Please follow the link to find the Version of DirectX on your computer: Finding the Version of DirectX on your computer

Also, let us know the model number of the unit from the link: Click Here to Find Your HP Product Model Number

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I followed the instructions and found that the Direct x version is 11.   This is the one I attempted installing (still don't know if it was installed correctly).   

I fould much information when I looked up the model number of the system.   Thecomputer I am currently working on is a laptop (probook 450 g2).   Not sure whether this is the information u need.   

Kind regards,

Daga

HP Recommended

@daga, thank you for your reply.

After checking the product number, I see that your issue with your HP ProBook 450 G2 Notebook PC is classified as a commercial product (business line).

Our Commercial Support Team does not provide assistance via this platform.
If you require immediate assistance, you will need to log a case with our Commercial Support Team.

Click here for details.

Have a great day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.