Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Envy 17 17-1190CA,
Windows 7 64-bit
HDD Failure error in windows.
Error reads as:
Windows detected a hard disk problem
Back up files etc..
-> Start the backup process

-> Ask again later
Which disk is failing

The following hard disks are reporting failure:

Disk Name: Toshiba Mk1059GSM
Volume: C:\D:\

No major changes except saved pictures and visiting various websites before this error occured. Did use different Wifi access than normal the day before as I was visiting a friend.
I also did the backup as windows suggested, plus did the HDD test on a restart with the following information given
Diagnostic Log
Result   Time
0301      111411-072937

0301      111311-190805

Then several No Data below this.

What does these results mean? Could this be a virus and not a real HDD failure?

I have done a backup at this point, and then installed AVG Anti-virus software to do farther scans in the case this is a virus.
Help in identifying the diagnostic log would be appreciated, and if also if this is a virus, as I had seen a virus that disguised itself as a HDD failure warning on Windows XP which linked to a website to try and extort money from people (although this does not look like that, but a real Windows 7 error)

Thank you for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is your notebook still under warranty?

The 0301 error is a SMART warning that the Hard Drive may be failing - you could try removing and re-seating the HDD and then re-run the test.  If it still fails, you should really consider replacing the drive.

You should fing the diagnostic log under the Advanced tab in the Bios ( f10 ) menu.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Yes it is still under warrenty.

HP Recommended

Hi,

In that case, as the Hard Drive is covered under warranty, contact HP using the relevant link below and arrange for the drive to be replaced.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
What about contacting the store I bought it from, as I have extended warranty through them? Although I'll probably have to wait just as long for them to do something as would sending the laptop to HP itself..
HP Recommended

Hi,

I wouldn't know the stores policy regarding this procedure, but I believe if you go through HP, they will send you a new drive which you fit yourself, so there is not a long waiting period ( you usually have to pay a deposit, which is refunded when you return the failed drive ).  It certainly may be worth contacting the store, it's really your choice, either way you will be covered.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I'll try contacting the store first, see what they say, as I don't want to void my extended warranty by accident when I need something else fixed later on, which I hope I don't. Thank you for your help, DP-K, GREATLY appreciated!
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.