Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a EliteBook 8440p. The system will not start up. I get a message tha the system turned off incorrectly.

When I run a system diagnostic it get the following message back:

Test 1 (Quick) .... Error: Read failureError: Read failure.

How do I correct this?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

My understanding is that you are getting Read failure error when trying to run diagnostics from BIOS either to memory or hard drive. Which ever device test is generating this error, that device failed and need to be replaced.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

My wife's laptop had this issue.  I could hear the drive spinning but it was getting the read error from the Bio system check.

I removed the harddrive from the laptop (3 screws - very easy thanks HP)

Then connected the harddrive to my powered off HP desktop, (if you need help with that you will need to google it.)

Booted my desktop and in post found and chdisk scanned the attached external hard drive finding and isolating several bad sectors.   One the pc finsihed coming up I was able to copy her files to the desktop. 

I did put the drive back in the laptop, which worked, but we ordered a new hard drive.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.