Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

how to boot from usb on HP ENVY 15-k000nx Notebook PC

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

1)  Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port and turn on the computer.

2)  Immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

Figure 1: Startup Menu

Image of Startup Menu

3)  Press F9 to open the Boot Device Options menu.

4)  Use the up or down arrow key to select the USB flash drive, and then press Enter .

NOTE: If you cannot select the USB flash drive from the Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Support in BIOS. For detailed instructions, see the Disabling Secure Boot on a notebook computer (Windows 😎. After saving the changes, the computer will request that you confirm the changes... Accept the changes by typing the four digit code and pressing the "ENTER" key.

You may also have to set "System Configuration" > "USB3.0 Config in Pre-Boot"  to "Auto" in the BIOS.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended
I make all step but I am not found usb in choses
HP Recommended

Please verify that the USB device is recognized and bootable on another computer... report back with your findings.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

FAIL

I disabled secure boot, enabled legacy suport and tryed to boot to my known Win8 USB key as well as the password reset USB that I was trying to use with no success. 

I realize that root kits and other threats to the boot sector are real, but the solution has to include the ability to boot to a local disk of some kind. I won't buy or recommed anymore HP laptops from now on.

HP Recommended

Hi 

i got pre instal win 8.1 hp envy x360 laptop so ontop i like to install win 7 in doule boot mode through usb flash drive,

could you please let me know after change bios booting order,system ask me too put 4 digit number generete by systemy 

but i couldnt find any place to inser number.

without insert number my boot order not changing pls help me out

many thanks

Babu

mbrahman@outlook.com

HP Recommended

same problem here

HP Recommended

please suggest

HP Recommended

i have dine all things but not comes in choose option

HP Recommended

This is helpful. But, the purpose and utility of the USB  flash drive is what?  If this is required to be able to the lower level system Dx--great.  But from what I can see, it is NOT USEFUL..  I don't see how I can use it to get this notebook back up. 

so no I know I have a bad Seagate HD---same as it ever was.  Why are these people still in business?  Why did HP incorporate this crapy **bleep** into their computers?  No long term vision.  I like their older computers but this 15" laptop SUCKS.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.