Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Support Assistant is contacting HP Servers, but fails to download messages and updates definitions.

I've completely reinstalled latest version, after full uninstall, but still no joy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was finally able to resolve my issue.

First, I deleted HP Support Assistant. To do this:

right click on the start button, choose CONTROL PANEL >

choose PROGRAMS >

choose PROGRAMS & FEATURES >

right click on HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT >

choose UNINSTALL

ALSO: If you do not delete the HP SUPPORT SOLUTIONS FRAMEWORK at the same time, reinstall will be of no use to you!

To delete HP SUPPORT SOLUTIONS FRAMEWORK:

choose PROGRAMS >

right click on HP SUPPORT SOLUTIONS FRAMEWORK

choose UNINSTALL

REBOOT

You can use the HP RECOVERY MANAGER to reinstall or you can download the HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT here

Once you have installed the program, REBOOT.

Now, try opening HPSA again and see if it will work for you 🙂

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @Illuminatus16

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

Based on my tests, this may happen if there is some network problem or a firewall blocking the proper communication for HPSA to HP servers.

Do you have a 3rd party firewall that may block/interfere with your HPSA ?

Since you seem to be running Windows 10,  please note that there are other means of updating the drivers such as :

- manually downloading them from HP site

- using Windows Update / Device manager

More info

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

>> http://www.howtogeek.com/98465/htg-explains-when-do-you-need-to-update-your-drivers/

HPSA is very useful software but if you are not able fix your problem eventually, it will not be a big deal as there are also other means to obtain updates/drivers. HPSA is not a mandatory software for your PC to function. 

Looking forward to your update.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks for your post, and the helpful suggestions.

I did try temporarily disabling both the firewall on the machine and on the router, just to check, but still not connecting.

You are quite right, there is really no need for the application in the long run, I have just found it convenient to keep everything up-to-date so far. And if truth be told, I removed it from the start-up payload some time ago.

Kind regards.

HP Recommended

I am curious if you were ever able to resolve your issue. I have the HP 15 Notebook, OS Windows 10 (64 bit), and my issue began between 9/1/2016 and 9/15/2016. Some portions of the software function, but the updates & messages have not worked for about a month. I followed all the troubleshooting steps and have spent more than 20 hours in chat time with HP reps trying to fix it to no avail.

The part I find suspicious is that my problem & yours seem identical with similar start time frames.

Of course, HP reps keep offering to escalate my issue through a PAID venue 😞 but don't support my barely 5 month old laptop for free for this type of issue 😞

HP Recommended

HPSA version 8.3.34.7

Spent about 5 hours in a support chat today attempting to fix the HPSA issue. The rep disabled a number of services, then began sfc /scannow. While the system file checker was still running (at approximately 30% through), he stated he was going to reset my pc, it was an OS failure causing the problem... and then he remotely started the reset while the system file checker was still running!  The reset failed.

The chat rep then advised me I could purchase Smart Friend support or purchase an OEM restore disk! WOW!

Fortunately, I have a few tricks up my sleeve and was able to restore my laptop to the state it was in prior to that oh-so-not-helpful rep's remote maintenance.

This laptop is barely 5 months old! That rep's steps could have bricked my system!

I suppose I will forego the convenience of HPSA, but it is awfully suspicious to me that I am seeing multiple posts in this forum and elsewhere with the same problem, beginning around the same time, and HP is not supporting their products!

HP Recommended

No, still not working.

HP Recommended

I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms.  9-month-old HP Spectre x360 Convertible running Win 10 Pro.  HPSA worked fine until yesterday when I used it to update my BIOS and create a recovery USB.  Now it says that it is connected to HP servers but fails on attempt to download updates and messages.  Disabling firewalls make no difference. 

I found this a convenient tool to automatically update my machine, but disappointed in lack of resolution of this issue, even after searching a number of message boards.  Hope HP will solve this problem for all of us vs pushing individuals to their paid support service that doesn't seem able to address the problem.

HP Recommended

@RicknCheryl

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand the HP support assistant won't download messages and updates definition,

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help resolve your concern,

Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here

I suggest you uninstall your current version of HP Support Assistant by opening windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right-click the entry for HP Support Assistant and select Uninstall.  When this process has completed, restart the notebook.

Next download and install the latest version of HP Support Assistant from this link: Click here

To troubleshoot any other issues or to know more about HPSA: Click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you. 
If they did, that’s awesome! 
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was finally able to resolve my issue.

First, I deleted HP Support Assistant. To do this:

choose PROGRAMS >

right click on HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT >

choose UNINSTALL

ALSO: If you do not delete the HP SUPPORT SOLUTIONS FRAMEWORK at the same time, reinstall will be of no use to you!

To delete HP SUPPORT SOLUTIONS FRAMEWORK:

choose PROGRAMS >

right click on HP SUPPORT SOLUTIONS FRAMEWORK

choose UNINSTALL

REBOOT

You can use the HP RECOVERY MANAGER to reinstall or you can download the HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT here

Once you have installed the program, REBOOT.

Now, try opening HPSA again and see if it will work for you 🙂

HP Recommended

I eventually got time to try this approach over the past couple of days, and presto! fixed.

It's important to know that you can't uninstall the Support Solutions Framework until Support Assistant has been uninstalled.

The reinstall is Support Assistant only, and I got the latest from the HP web-site rather than Recovery.

Overall, I guess this is related to Windows Updates after Anniversary Update making something not work with the Support Solutions Framework ?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.