Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi, im trying to find out if its possible to change the processor on a hp pavilion 15 laptop

Product name:HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Product number:L2W58EA#ABU
Serial number:[personal information removed]

its currently got a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5010U CPU @ 2.10GHz and would like to upgrade to an i5 for better video editing 

thank you

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@davidh21

Yes you can upgrade but you would need to replace the system board.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04511833

REO

HP Recommended

Model number is 15-p247sa

Here is your Service manual:

Service Manual

See p. 23 and the long list of "system boards". There is a separate board for each available processor, which means the processor is soldered to the board. That means upgrade is extremely hard and expensive, but not impossible. It would require replacement of the motherboard. If you are going to do that, you might as well go i7; it would only be a few bucks more. 

In fact, while these upgrades are not easy, the laptop can accept 16 gigs of RAM and you could install a solid state drive. 

The problem is the memory upgrade is just about as difficult as a motherboard replacement since it requires removal of the motherboard but an added 8 gig module of DDR3L-1600 memory will be a fraction of the cost. A 500 gig SSD is now about $135 or so. I would guess a "better" motherboard is going to run over $300.  And then there is the labor cost and the loss of warranty to consider. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.