Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Hp Pavillion laptop model 15-1039 WM,  with Windows 10. I can not get log on to it, I get a message password incorrect go to account.live.com/password/rest. So I went to that website on my desktop and changed my password. My old password worked when I logged on to My desktop. I checked my new password on my desktop and worked but on my laptop I still get the same message incorrect password. Can anybody tell me the steps I need to take so my laptop will recognize my password so I can get logged on. I sure would appreciate the help. Thank You.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @Sjb21161, Thank you for joining the HP Forums!

I understand that you have password issues with your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Well if you face this issue because of any one of the reasons mentioned below.

1] It goes, without saying that you must first check if your password is indeed correct and then enter it carefully. Make sure that your Caps Lock is not On.

2] You have to remember that Windows 10 will sync computer settings, app purchases, etc across all systems that are using the same Microsoft Account. So if you changed your password using one computer, make sure you use the new password on your other computers too.

3] You might want to also check if your keyboard has been configured to support multiple languages and check if you are using the correct language. You can check its settings in the taskbar.

4] The error message offers a suggestion that you rest your password. So reset your Microsoft Account password at account.live.com and once you have reset it, use it to sign in. If you have reset the password online, use the new password on your Windows 10/8 PC.

5] Reset your password to one which is less than 15 characters long. and see if it works.

6] If you think you Microsoft Account may have been compromised, then you might want to initiate steps to recover a hacked Microsoft Account. If you think it has been blocked by Microsoft, initiate the procedure to recover a blocked or suspended Outlook or Microsoft account.

7] If nothing works, then you initiate steps for password recovery. These post on Windows Password Recovery and how to recover from lost Windows passwords natively will help you recover lost, forgotten Windows password. Try some freeware Password Recovery tool like Ophcrack, Cain & Abel  Recover my Password Home Free or Offline NT Password & Registry Editor.

8] If this doesn’t help, then you may have a problem. Contact Microsoft Support and see if the have a solution. If not, then reinstalling Windows 10 may be the only option you may have.

To prevent this from happening, you should set a PIN as an extra measure. So if you cannot login with your Microsoft account password, you will be able to sign in using PIN.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.