Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15t-bc000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to purchase the 15t-bc000 CTO with just the 1 TB 7200 hard drive. I want to add the Smasung SM951 SSD and another stick of RAM myself. I am not worried about the warranty, only if it can be done.

1) Would the laptop still come with the M.2 slot for an SSD?

2) If it has the slot, is it PCIe 3.0 NVMe capable?

3) Would the BIOS of the machine allow me to install Windows 10 on it and make it the boot drive?

4) It comes with one 8GB stick of RAM, would I be able to add another 8GB stick.

I would appreciate any help you can give, thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

>>> 1) Would the laptop still come with the M.2 slot for an SSD?

You can search this forum, members bought option with HDD only and found out no M.2 slot when opening the case.

>>> 2) If it has the slot, is it PCIe 3.0 NVMe capable?

From manual page 2:

Single HDD configurations
1TB (7200) 9.5mm
2 TB (5400) 9.5mm

M.2 SATA configurations (TLC):
256 GB

PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SSD
256 GB
512 GB

HDD+SSD configurations
1TB (7200) 9.5mm HDD + 256GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SSD
1TB (7200) 9.5mm HDD + 128GB M.2 SATA-3 SSD (Value)
2TB (5400) 9.5mm HDD + 128 GB M.2 SATA-3 SSD (Value)

>>> 3) Would the BIOS of the machine allow me to install Windows 10 on it and make it the boot drive?

Machine has Windows 10 pre-installed and the key is in its BIOS. You have to install SAME Windows edition/version otherwise you have to buy new license.

>>> 4) It comes with one 8GB stick of RAM, would I be able to add another 8GB stick.

From page 1 of the manual:

MemoryTwo SODIMM slots - customer non-accessible/non-upgradeable
DDR4-2133 Dual Channel Support (DDR4-2400 bridge to DDR4-2133)Supports up to 16GB max system memory
4096MB (4096MB x 1)
6144MB (2048MB x 1 + 4096MB x 1)
8192MB (4096MB x 2)
8192MB (8192MB x 1)
12288MB (8192MB +4096MB)
16384MB (8192MB x 2)

>>> I am not worried about the warranty, only if it can be done.

Well, that is a brave comment.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it even though it wasn't much help as most of the information you gave me I found in the manual also.

I was hoping for a more difinitve answer as I also saw a few post about not having the M.2 slot but none with the above part number. I'm surprised no one at HP knows for sure and we have to rely on people who have already purchased the product to find out what is does or does not include. Makes me leery about buying another HP when they don't know their product very well.

My 11 year old HP laptop is just getting to far behined and I liked the specs. of the 15t-bc000 CTO. But I guess I have to look elsewhere unless someone else has more difinitive answers.  And as a user we can't upgrade the unit without voiding the warranty, wow HP has taken the fun out of owning a laptop and customizing for the users specific needs.

Thanks again for trying.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.