Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
15-ax000nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I *just* bought an HP Omen 15-ax000nl laptop and today while I was using it normally a blue screen appeared, the PC turned off and at the reboot nothing booted, instead a message appeared on screen:

"Boot device not found.

Please install an operating system on your hard disk."

This PC has an SSD on which the OS (Win10) is installed. After bbooting Linux from an USB stick I could only see the bigger 1TB HDD and not the SSD. Now my question is:

1) it is under warranty so if I bring it back can I ask to have the data I had on the SSD saved somewhere?

2) can I open the PC to check if maybe it's just an unplugged cable without breaking the warranty?

Thank you for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

That would indicate the boot device has failed, or at least is corrupted. If you choose to have HP repair under warranty, do not expect them to save anything from the SSD.  They just do not do that.  I am afraid the data is gone.

If the Linux cannot see the SSD, that would also indicate the SSD has failed and the data cannot be retrieved.  Opening the computer would probably void any warranty, since this is a laptop.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

When I had to ship back my old ASUS (under warranty) because it wasn't turning on, I asked the support centre and they told me that I could remove the HDD to save the data I had on it. But in that case to remove the HDD I didn't have to open the whole case bacause it was (smartly I would say) accessible under a lid.

HP Recommended

@marcwell

It depends on the local country and the tech center policies.

For example, where I live it it possible to ship a PC without an HDD if you do notify them prior to the shipping. Please, contact HP or the service center and check with them if this is possible.

Contact HP:

> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

> https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

More instuctions: > http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

HERE IS THE MANUAL that gives the location and proceedure to get to many parts, SSD included.  Where that is located, I would assume would void the warranty to open that area.  Check with the repair center to verify.  and they are not going to let you keep the SSD to get information from it when that is the part you wish to be replaced.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.