Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@mmmurcia

Hi,

It may be any 2.5" SATA II HDD. On some notebooks there are problems with the detection of the disk that has a capacity of more than 500GB.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended
Really..would my hard drive really need replaced..I just got it..but no warranty...
HP Recommended

problem Smart (301)

HP Recommended

Thanks Daniel !!

HP Recommended

@missbrook

I understand that Hard drive test has failed. Right?

So yes this means that your hard drive needs to be replaced.

There is no other solution for this problem.

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

@mmmurcia

You're welcome.

HP Recommended

@agustinus

Hi,

Start-up TestHard Disk 1 SMART301You can attempt to reseat the hard drive and repeat the test.

The hard disk drive may have failed. Contact HP Support for further assistance.

Reseat means remove and install the hard drive again.

Check this link to learn how you can perform the hard disk test and run it.

When the test will fail again then this means that your hard drive needs to be replaced.

If your notebook is under warranty, then in this case please contact HP. They'll send you a new hard drive for free.

How to do it? Check the link below and choose your country:
Contact HP Worldwide

HP Recommended
Hard disk fail ...how do I fix? Than in advance
HP Recommended

Hello Charliebhoy.  I understand you've received a message that your hard drive has failed.

You should confirm this error by running the built in diagnostic for the hard drive.  Follow these steps to run the test and make sure to post the result.

If the test fails then you will need to replace your hard drive.  This is an easy repair that you could do yourself.  If you provide me with your product number I'll be happy to post detailed instructions for your notebook.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply; have an excellent day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

when i turn on my computer it tells me that it has detected that my fan isn't working properly, i have blown the dust using the can with air in it and it still does the samething, it get's very hot and it will shut off automacilly, what should i do.

yours truly

ethelyn thornton

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.