Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello ethelyn-thornto.  I understand you're being told your cooling fan is not working properly.

This error usually means that the main fan on the motherboard is no longer working.  Before considering replacing the fan you should do a little more thorough cleaning of the notebook.  Dust tends to build up inside the notebook as well so opening it up and cleaning it may resolve your issue.  This document has photos which show the places dust can build up inside.

I can provide you with instructions for opening up the notebook as well as replacing the fan if you provide me with your product number.  If you're unsure where it is located take a look here.

If you find this helpful or want to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  

Have a wonderful day!

EDIT:  You should also check your warranty (you can check here).  If you're in warranty you should contact HP Support directly.  If you're in the US/Canada the number is 1-800-474-6836.  For other parts of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've just done both a hard disk test and a memory test both turned out fine no error messages popped up but my computer is still stuck in boot device? I'm not sure what that means, it says I need to put in the windows disk it came with but I don't even think we put in a disk to install windows, I believe that was already installed, ok please let me know if you can help. My laptop is a Campaq Presario CQ57-339WM Notebook PC, i just bought this last september. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello again ifyoufitindabox.  

From your description it sounds like you may be having a problem with your operating system.  You should try to perform a Microsoft System Restore.  This will take your notebook back to a point prior to when the issue began.  Just make sure you pick a restore point with a date prior to the issue.  This document has instructions.  The relevant section is "Advanced options available through F11" and then the "Microsoft System Restore" section.

If this does not resolve the issue I highly suggest you contact HP Support if you've only had this notebook since September.  If you're in the US/Canada you can call them at 1-800-474-6836.  If you are in another part of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information.

Let me know if this helps.  I hope you have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

@AttackofZaq

Hello,

AttackofZaq wrote:

Hello ethelyn-thornto.  I understand you're being told your cooling fan is not working properly.

This error usually means that the main fan on the motherboard is no longer working.  Before considering replacing the fan you should do a little more thorough cleaning of the notebook.  Dust tends to build up inside the notebook as well so opening it up and cleaning it may resolve your issue.  This document has photos which show the places dust can build up inside.

I can provide you with instructions for opening up the notebook as well as replacing the fan if you provide me with your product number.  If you're unsure where it is located take a look here.

Just be sure to ask first whether this notebook has still valid warranty. It's just a friendly tip...

@ethelyn-thornto

Hi,

It's always a good idea to perform a hard reset in this kind of situation:

Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues

Use a Forced Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues on a Notebook with a Sealed Non-Removable...

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

I now have a screen that says InsydeH2O Setup Utility

HP Recommended
My computer blacks out after start up. And goes to a blue screen that shuts down in 30seconds. It tells me something critical is wrong with my computer and tells me it maybe storage ect and gives me tech support site. I've done recovery mode in it and it was OK after. Now its doing it again. I am now doing hard drive test and the quick test passed now its doing the full test now. What should I do if the same problem accurse?
HP Recommended

Hello Meaghanthorp.  I understand your computer is telling you it has experienced a critical error.

What was the result of the full hard drive test?  From the wording of your post this seems like the likely culprit.  If you see the error again could you post it word-for-word?

Which notebook do you own?  This document can show you how to identify the notebook by product number.

Other common causes for this error include memory and the cooling fan.  So, it would be a good time to clean the cooling system of the notebook.  This support document has instructions.  This is good preventative maintenance as well.  I suggest doing this every two months or so.

Since you're already running the hard drive test you might as well test the memory as well.

​I'll keep an eye out for the results and advise you appropriately.  I hope you have a great day!  Smiley Happy

HP Recommended
I did the hard drive test and it passed. So I went ahead and did memory test and it passed. Right under it, it said hard disk failed. So I went back to do hard disk test again and in a matter of seconds it said it failed. I'm guessing I need a new hard drive? I got a can of air and sprayed it out to.
HP Recommended

Hello again Meaghanthorp.

That implies that the drive hasn't totally died yet.  If you're able to boot into Windows at all I suggest you back up your data immediately.  The drive will need to be replaced.  I can provide you instructions and parts information if you provide me with your product number.  This article can show you where to locate it.

If the notebook is in warranty (check here) you should contact HP Support and let them know about the issue.

If you haven't previously created Recovery Media then you'll need to contact HP Support in order to get a set of recovery discs.  These discs will allow you to reinstall Windows as well as the drivers for the notebook.  If you're in the US/Canada give them a call at 1-800-474-6836.  If you're in another part of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information.

Cheers!  

HP Recommended
I backed my files up so that isn't a worry sense I still could reboot it. My warranty is up so I'll get the parts. Thanks so much for your help.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.