Note on archived topics.
10-29-2016 09:43 AM
The integrated 3-in1 memory card reader does not recognize sd cards (tried two). Updated drivers/computer, everything. Installed the realtek card reader driver. Nope, still nothing. Have explorer show hidden files/empty drives, nothing.
Both cards are recognized by another computer so it's not the cards.
10-31-2016 02:50 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having issues with the card reader isn't being detected. I'd like to assist you with this.
As the drive normally shows up only when the card is inserted into the slot,
Here’s a list of articles you can use to resolve issues with the media card reader:
- Go into device manager and uninstall the card reader, it should be listed as IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for the card reader.
Here is a link to device manager.
- Check if the problem is caused due to card issue. If the SD card is broken, it won’t be recognized by PC. You can plug the card into another PC to see if it works. If it doesn’t work either, you can try cleaning the card. After cleaning the card, if it still doesn’t work, the card is probably broken, you may need to have your card replaced.
- Check if the card reader works. If the card reader is stuck with dust, it will lead bad contact between the card and the card reader. Try cleaning the card reader slot and see if this solves the problem.
- Check if the card reader is disabled in BIOS settings. At the first screen after a restart, look for a key to press for “BIOS” or “Settings”. Verify that the card reader has not been disabled in the BIOS settings.
Let me know if you require any further assistance.
If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
I am an HP Employee
11-10-2016 07:47 AM
Thanks for your reply, unfortunatly the issue still isn't solved.
- I uninstalled both IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers --> (Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller and Standaard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA-controller) Restarted the pc as suggested. Did driver updates through devicemanager on both. Still no SD card showed up when I put it in the slot again.
- Both SD cards I tested with are both working fine on another computer and in other devices so it's not the SD card.
- I checked the card slot, no obstructions, looks sqeaky clean and the pins look solid so that's not it. PC is very new anyway, that would be weird.
- Checked the BIOS settings. I assume you meant the section security->slot security setting? Two things show up:
- M.2-kaartslot 1 > Ingeschakeld
- M.2-kaarstlot 2 > Ingeschakeld (Dutch, kaartslot=cardslot ingeschkeld=enabled)
Still no SD card showing up. Any other ideas? :)
11-10-2016 02:55 PM
Thanks for replying. I appreciate the troubleshooting you have performed so far. You are absolutely correct, the SD cards are okay because they work with another computer. However, before we come to a final conclusion, I suggest you review this link: http://hp.care/2eOa11X. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! :)
11-11-2016 07:18 AM
Thanks for your reply again. The link was not helpful, neither cards are SDHC or SDXC memory cards, just regular SD, and I am also not running windows 8.
However, I did discover something. After poking around and pondering again, I finally realized there is an SD card slot in the HP Photosmart C5280 printer we have here. I inserted it in the printer's SD slot and immediately the computer (HP Envy) recognizes the card and I can use it!
Therefore.. It can not be a driver problem or a windows problem so it must be a problem with the SD card slot itself on the Envy. The BIOS recognizes the slot but clearly the slot itself is not working.
Is this a known problem for these new HP Envy's? Would there be a HP warranty program that could fix it?
11-11-2016 01:38 PM
Thanks for replying. I see that you have figured out the issue yourself. This is definitely to do with the SD card slot being faulty. I would recommend you contact HP phone support for available service options. Please visit Contact HP and fill in the product details to get the tech support number.
If the unit is under warranty, then the issue will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty ideally. Otherwise, please contact HP or local a technician to get the unit serviced.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you require any further assistance.
If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.
I am an HP Employee