Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Please help! is there any way to get windows 7 back on my computer, after windows 10 updates and old files delete? my computer had been put up.  It wasnt running so well, so i didnt mess with it. but i had let my little cousin play on it while he was around. when i got back on it after, to restore and all that fun stuff.  i noticed it had updated to windows 10 and has no recovery files. i am not happy with windows 10.. it does not support certain drivers and im just not as satified. but id rather not have to buy a new product key. the one one my laptop is not working. ive sat on the phone with HP customer service for 3 hours tonight. was transfered 3 times, just to get told i need to pay for help?? very unhappy withn that call. someone please help if you can. thank you

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended
Hi,

I assume your laptop came with Windows 7.

You can use the Recovery discs now, that you might have created after first setup of this laptop, to factory reset OS by booting from it.

If you've not created recovery media yourself, you've to order them from HP or other third party sellers like computersurgeons.com or restoredisks.com

Scenario of Clean installation of Windows 7 in OEM machine like yours:
Microsoft has taken down the Digital River ISO download servers and are only providing ISO's to retail customers (retail product key).

This leaves those who bought a PC with Win 7 at the mercy of OEM (with 25 character OEM product key in COA sticker on the back of your laptop) to borrow a copy from one of your friends.

Source: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219487-clean-reinstall-factory-oem-windows-7-a.html

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Hi, @michael282 :

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

You can use either the:

Win 7 Home Premium/Pro (as applicable) SP1 or the (Retail version, but the OEM key on your PC's case will work with it)

Win 7 Home Premium/Pro (as applicable) SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European Union (EU) countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

You can use this tool to transfer the ISO file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Otherwise you can probably order a set of recovery disks from this non-HP vendor for your specific model dv7.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/

HP Recommended
@Paul_Tikkanen

Thank you for this one.

Indeed it is directly from server that is available to MVPs according to the site.

"Ever since Microsoft pulled the Windows disk images from Digital River, hunting for untouched ISO files has been a pain. Our new tool will make your life easier, and provides an interface to the MICROSOFT TECHBENCH SITE to download original Windows and Office images directly from Microsoft's server."

Happy New Year!

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, @visruth :

Happy New Year to you too!

Cheers,

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank you both for the help and input. I am going to try this site out, hope it works! Happy new years to both of you. I will leave feedback on the thread after i try the download.

HP Recommended

You're welcome 🙂

Do let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Happy New Year to you too!

HP Recommended
Sorry for the delay in response. Anyhow. It downloads the files. Still needed a new key. All around horrible experience for me. It did not have any drivers, could not open most files to try and restore anything. Really could not do anything at all. No internet, even with Ethernet connected. Luckily I had installed windows 10 on a USB just incase. I had to delete all partitions and start over. So I'm back with windows 10 and I am gonna stop whining about it now lol
If anyone was to ask me personally if i recommend trying that. NOT A CHANCE. You get a home screen to look, and that is it.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the feedback Michael.

You're the second member reporting negatively of this procedure.

Sorry.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.