Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I found the quick fix for mine.  There was an HP printer (DeskJet F4100 Series) that came with my laptop when I bought it.  When my wireless goes out, I make sure to have a program open and my internet hard-wired in.  Then, I plug in the printer to USB port and shut my laptop.  I wait for a few so the laptop can go to sleep and then open it back up.  Wha-lah!  The wireless will work for a few days.  Hopefully, this helps out others as well...

HP Recommended

Alas...did not work for me.

I got this DV8000 laptop a few months ago--had a cracked screen. I got a used LCD and replaced it. But the wireless card just would not connect.

(I do not know whether the wireless button is on or off...it's just a push button. At the moment, there is no blue light. No orange light either, best as I Can tell)

Anyhoo...back then, I bought a new Broadcom nic and installed it. I rebooted, and there was the network. The blue light was on . I typed in the WPA key and got right in.

BUT. Then today, like an idiot, I removed the card...(I thought there was something beneath it I was trying to find, but I think the screws I wanted are beneath the HDD's...duh)

When I rebooted...no network. No blue light.  Nuthin.

The device Manager sees the card and tells me it's working properly. I've reinstalled the driver twice. I've disabled and re-enabled.

I've repaired the connection, I've reinstalled TCP/IP, I've stopped and started the Windows Zero Config tool. The light on my router indicates that it is broadcasting wirelessly.  I'm using no mac filtering, and I am broadcasting my SSID.

Again, I don't know which position of the simple push switch on the front is the "On" position, since it's only a push switch. But it's not blue, and it does not appear to be orange either. But pushing it makes no difference.

Why would it work, and then suddeny cease to work?  Could it be a mobo chipset problem? I'm sitting 3 feet away from the router. Where's the network??

HP Recommended

Still me, here...

For the record, I just installed a USB wireless adapter, and it's working great. (Using its own software)

I don't  remember seeing Broadcom's wireless software. I'll go a-looking.

HP Recommended

LOL...I'm back.

Apparently when I physically uninstalled the nic this disabled my wireless-ness in the BIOS. (F10 for this laptop)

I'm back up and running. I never would have got that, if Broadcom's wirless uitlity didn't tell me.

Oddly enough, now that the app has solved the problem, I can no longer find it anywhere.

Who WAS that masked man, anyhow??

HP Recommended

YES! Thank you so much Cybervision. I've been googeling around forever trying to find a solution to my wifi-led not turning blue while having the switch in the right position. That whole Independent controls thing worked out great. After reding to many comments about people having to pay a several hundred dollars to repair their computers i thought i was screwed, im so relived now, thanks again 🙂

HP Recommended

my wire less not working  some time on some timm off but now last fwe days not working at all how do i fix this problem? and how much to fix this. Please help.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, even buying a wireless adapter may not work.  The final death cry occurred in October 2009.  The Nividia chipset overheated so much that it fried the motherboard and all the components attached to it.  I simply sent it to recycle heaven at BestBuy and moved on.  The only recommendation I have is never to purchase HP products and do not rely on HP to help or assist you in fixing anything.  Total Care it's not unless they're making money off you in "service repairs."  Shame on you HP, shame on you!

Never buy HP products. They fail and the company does not stand by their warrany. Customer Careless is just that, they could careless.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for sharing this information in how to fix wireless adapter for HP dv9000. it works awesome. Anyways did you ever had time to find out how to manage the power of the wireless adapter? thank you

HP Recommended

****** posted bybjrose****************

HERE IS THE RIGHT SOLUTION. first i got this off another forum and cant find it now, but the poster deserves all the credit. The problem is from the power manager. the system runs on battery until critical power level is reached. the system then shuts down the wireless card to save power. but when you plug back in it wont turn the card power back on and system doesn't recognize the card. I don't know how to fix that exact problem, but this will return the power back to card.

• unplug power cord
  • let battery run down until critical power level shuts down computor.
  • push and hold power button for 30 seconds to drain residual power.
  • remove battery
  • turn wireless switch off (to the left)
  • plug computor back in (leaving out battery)
  • boot computor untill every thing loads.
  • turn wireless switch back on (to the right). You should now have a blue light.
  • reconnect to wireless location as before
  • You now have a good card with no battery in place and the battery is still drained. if you plug the battery back in now all the previous work is waisted and you have to start over. Don't put battery back in yet.
  • Click  start - shutdown - let computor shut down.
  • Close lid - leave plugged in - replace battery and let charge until battery charge light goes out. (middlw blue lightnig bolt)
  • Turn on normally card should work until next battery drain.

I don't have the time right now to try and solve what is causing the power manager to do this, but it should take HP no time to figure out. I'm sure they read this forum. But then they would loose all that repair business for replacing mother boards when it's not the problem.  Hp now has to step up to the plate.

prove they care about thier customers. this allready cost me and alot other the price of a new card, not to mention the people who have to send it back for repairs because they don't have the ability to fix.

HP Recommended

i have hp pavilion 9000 and its wi fi in not working and cant detect signal of router

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.