Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Don't buy HP within the same series. It will do a firmware update as soon as you complete installing it and it will get bricked for sure. If you want laser then go for a different male, I would recommend brother. Of inkjet is fine then Epsom are good too. Cheap cartridges on eBay. But I would surely not buy HP.
HP Recommended

Dear All,

Sorry for no uppdate for a while....

But I most say that the Swedish HP Support team has handle my case very good. We have been having telephone contact several times trying to solve the problem as I was interested myself to fix it...... but finally we (read: the HP support team)  came the the conclution that the printer was a "brick"....(dead), so I got an exchange printer (same type) sent to me at no cost !!

I was informed the theory of the firmware failure was only "striked" printers that was installed in a network (via a router) and not if you had it installed direct to your PC.... or ? :-}

My exchange printer is standing here right beside me but I haven´t got the nerves to install it, as it will probably kill it selves as VKPK conclusions above.... Besides that I have a Samsung printer now.....

Good luck everybody....

HP Recommended
Hello again, so the HP 12 series seems to a great issue. The 15 series seems ok ( for now). I have put HP update off and done a custom install for this in my office. Its been only a week. I would still recommend Brother for laser and Epson for inkjet. This of course is for home printing.

I have bought a Epson and its pretty compact and easy with air/web print.
HP Recommended

HP is working to find the root cause of this issue. The latest software online, however, will install correctly because the current version of the embedded Firmware Update Utility has been removed. A corrected and revised version of the Firmware Update Utility will be available as soon as the issue is resolved.

In the meantime, we recommend not using the current Firmware Update Utility if the ePrint feature is not used on your printer. If it’s necessary to update your printer firmware, please use a USB connection and ensure the power supply is stable. HP apologizes for the inconvenience.

Regards,
affableLJ
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
I am an HP employee!
HP Recommended

8 months and 10 days. That's how long it took HP to remove the embedded firmware update after they were told it was causing problems.

3 months and 4 days. That's how long it took to actually remove the defective embedded firmware update after HP STAFF acknowledged they were aware that it specifically was causing the problem.

So HP, what's the plan on "support" for those who were victims of this defective update? Your removal of the embedded firmware is an acknowledgement that it's causing the problems we've been talking about since last year - how do you plan on fixing this situation for us?

HP Recommended

affableLJ wrote:

HP is working to find the root cause of this issue. The latest software online, ...

In the meantime, we recommend not using the current Firmware Update Utility if the ePrint feature is not used on your printer.

Interesting concept:

HP acknowlwdges that the firmware update utility is faulty and causes printer damage, and remove it from the software batch, however, they do recommend not using the current Firmware Update Utility if the ePrint feature is not used on your printer. In other words, go ahead, kill your printer if you want to use ePrint feature!!!

HP Recommended
I agree with Boguslaw and I would like to add that there's no reset fix for actual problem that this thread address. I say that because there are a few that comment of a fix but does realize that their printer was not fried from the update software like the rest of us - they had a different issue. Also our printers were made completely non-functional and we are unable to install or uninstall software because HPs software killed our printers.
HP Recommended

It appears that the only purpose of the firmware update was to fix ePrint feature

I don't use ePrint and I don't want to use it, but the firmware update was forced upon my printer. It was not optional, and it was not specified that it is "needed" for ePrint only.

At some time it was illegal to force the customer to get additional features they did not want or needed. Is it allowed now? even if this damages customer's property? This is what HP did to us and they deny responsibility. We all took the chance of... using HP product and trusting them.

They finally admitted that their software was faulty, but still don't take responsibility for damages.

How much longer we have to wait?

HP Recommended

Ok, so I finally got around to getting caught up with this thread and in touch with HP customer support.

I'm glad that HP has caught and acknowledged that their firmware update had issues and seems to identified that users running their driver installation on printers attached over the network would encounter the issue. The right move was made to remove this software from their download site - I just wish it hadn't taken 3 months.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I manage literally hundereds of printers so one little work-from-home M1212nf was the least of my concerns, but thanks to pcwizard for following up on my issue.

If your printer is bricked and out of warranty, but you want to continue your customer relationship with HP, my advice is to try contacting the company however you can and reference this issue and this thread.

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

Please check your private messages

If somebody sends you a message, there will be a blue envelope icon right beside the Log Out link. To check your message box, click on the envelope icon.

PM4.JPG

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.