Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

This is the second time HP bricked my printer. I reinstalled the older firmware via Wifi and FTP using Filezilla, took about 15 minutes. All ok now.

FOR HP -- this is my printer, not your printer. It is out of warranty and I will use whatever ink I want, just like I can put whatever gas I want in my car. Your policies are horrendous so here is the deal. When I finish the ink on this HP printer I am going to take it to a field and go Office Space on it and post it to Youtube. After that I will buy a Canon -- and I will never buy HP again- Your management is the worst.

HP Recommended

https://www.rickscully.com/2020/how-to-downgrade-hp-printer-firmware-via-ftp/

download his copy of the firmware, use a free FTP software to install via wifi .. easy peasy

HP Recommended

I can't believe this!!!!

Same issue. Just occurred today.

They pushed an update on Nov 9th. What's really infuriating is that HP has fixed no issues that the printer has (mine is not detected in 75% of cases as being online, it also won't work on direct print and a couple of others that are small and decided to live with).

HP, **bleep**?

Some fat cat at HP decided to screw their users, and milk some cash.

Fortunately I bought it at a store where they'll take it back. Guess where I'll go tomorrow?

Fix this s##t HP!!!!

HP Recommended

For those of you that missed the original post with the download link, see below.... 

I had the same problem and it is infuriating.  After searching online, found this link and info.  You need to downgrade the firmware.  That eliminated all the problems I had.  Cartridges that were receiving the "blocked" message, now working and printer printing like new again. 

In case the link doesn't work,  Search reddit.com:  "HP LaserJet Pro M280 M281 Printer series 20200612 firmware downgrade"

Good luck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/jpgpp3/hp_laserjet_pro_m280_m281_printer_series_20200612/... 

HP Recommended

I followed the Reddit instructions.  Printer working fine now.  I change settings so printer will NOT do automatic updates plus I disabled the update feature.

thanks to everyone who pointed out the Reddit article.

I have bought  five HP printers for home office use over last 10 years plus HP printers for business office use.

I will not be buying HP printers ever again due to HP Printer division business practices such as this. 

HP Recommended

Well HP, either you fix this within the next 2 business days, or ALL of my HP printers get returned to Costco.  Nice thing about Costco, their return policy is awesome, and it is HP that will have to EAT the printers

HP Recommended

I successfully downgraded the firmware, following the reddit instruction as suggested by the others.

But turns out I had to do one more thing (that the instruction didn't mention) for this to be successful.

I have to pull out the "unauthorized toner" first.

Somehow, with the "unauthorized toner", the printer is not in a ready state to update the firmware.  And the update would fail to happen with no error, warning or any response.

Once I pulled out the "unauthorized toner" the update happened successfully.

HP Recommended

How do you downgrade?

HP Recommended

Love that the community has found a solution, I will give it a try now. 

However

The fact that I have Cartridge Policy and Cartridge Protection turned off warrants an official firmware update from HP, and I won't mark this as solved until they do so.

I understand firmware updates sometimes break stuff, however, fixes can and should be QUICKLY posted.

HP I await the actual fix.

HP Recommended

Printer is fixed, for now, using the solution here;

HP LaserJet Pro M280 M281 Printer series 20200612 firmware downgrade : printers (reddit.com)

HP, all the many many people who have this printer need you to post an OFFICIAL firmware release as soon as possible to fix this obvious glitch.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.