Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 6455e All-in-One Printer

I keep getting the E1 error code on my HP Envy 6455e All-In-One Printer.  Help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @choresis,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The E1 error code on an HP Envy 6455e All-In-One Printer generally indicates a paper jam or paper feed issue. Here are some steps you can follow to troubleshoot and resolve the problem.

Turn Off the Printer:

• Turn off the printer and disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer.

Check for Paper Jams:

• Open the front cover of the printer.
  • Remove the paper input tray and look for any jammed paper. If you find any, gently remove it.
  • Check the paper path and remove any paper that may be stuck in the rollers or other areas inside the printer.

Check the Paper Input Tray:

• Ensure that the paper is loaded correctly in the input tray.
  • Make sure the paper guides are snug against the edges of the paper but not too tight.
  • Verify that the paper is not bent, wrinkled, or damaged in any way.

Check the Output Tray:

• Open the output tray and remove any jammed paper.
  • Ensure that there are no obstructions in the output tray area.

Clean the Rollers:

• If you suspect the rollers might be dirty or not functioning properly, clean them using a lint-free cloth lightly moistened with distilled water. Rotate the rollers manually to clean their entire surface.

Check for Small Paper Fragments:

• Sometimes small pieces of paper can get stuck inside the printer. Use a flashlight to inspect the printer thoroughly and remove any small paper fragments.

Reconnect and Restart:

• Once you have checked and cleared any paper jams, reconnect the power cord to the printer and turn it back on.
  • Try printing a test page to see if the issue has been resolved.

Reset the Printer:

• If the error persists, perform a reset. Disconnect the power cord while the printer is on, wait for about 60 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord and turn the printer back on.

Update Printer Firmware:

• Ensure your printer's firmware is up-to-date. Go to the HP Support website, download the latest firmware for your printer model, and follow the instructions to update it.

By following these steps, you should be able to resolve the E1 error code on your HP Envy 6455e All-In-One Printer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I have tried all these suggestions.  I am unable to download the Firmware update, it just get's stuck spinning.  I've been trying to fix this for over a week.  Is there help for downloading the Firmware?  What else can I do?

HP Recommended

Hi @choresis,

Thank you for your response, 

Here are a few steps you can take to try to resolve the E1 error code and firmware update issue.

Check Network Connection

Ensure your printer is properly connected to your network. A stable and strong Wi-Fi connection is crucial for downloading firmware updates. You can also try connecting your printer directly to your computer via USB to see if this stabilizes the connection.

Restart Devices

Restart your printer, router, and computer. Sometimes a simple restart can resolve connection issues.

Use HP Smart App

Try updating the firmware using the HP Smart App:

• Download and install the HP Smart App on your smartphone or computer.
  • Open the app and add your printer if it’s not already added.
  • Navigate to the printer settings and look for firmware updates.

Manual Firmware Update

If the firmware update via HP Smart App or automatic download fails, you can try manually updating the firmware:

• Go to the HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads page.
  • Enter your printer model (HP Envy 6455e) and select the appropriate operating system.
  • Download the firmware update file manually.
  • Follow the instructions provided on the HP website to install the firmware update using a USB connection.

Clear Printer Queue

Sometimes, print jobs stuck in the queue can cause issues. Clear the print queue:

• Open the printer queue on your computer.
  • Cancel all pending print jobs.

Reset Printer to Factory Defaults

Resetting your printer to factory settings can sometimes resolve persistent errors:

• On the printer control panel, go to "Setup" or "Settings".
  • Navigate to "Printer Maintenance" or "Service".
  • Select "Restore" or "Restore Factory Defaults".

HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor utility. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and scanning issues.

Additional Tips:

• Ensure your operating system is up to date.
  • Try using a different computer to perform the firmware update.
  • Disable any firewall or antivirus temporarily, as these can sometimes block the update process. 

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks Aiden for your help!  Searching for a paper jam (there was none) somehow solved it.  This was a delight.  What is not delightful is that I keep needing help with this printer.  It seems like every 3 to 6 months since I bought it, it gets disconnected or has some sort of error (this time I woke up one day to find an E9 error), and I have to go through a whole process of clearing the memory and adding a new printer. The E1 error was the first thing that happened after that whole set up (maybe since this time for the first time ever, the set up required the PIN number located inside the cartridge area, and the door closes quite hard unless I am careful with it - maybe that jarred the paper guidance stuff... anyway the E1 error is gone now).    Why the E9 error?  Why does something go wrong that way over and over again?  It was other things in the past - just lost connection, but this is the 2nd time in 6 months I got the E9 error.   At least now days I don't have to spend 2 hours on the phone because the procedure for clearing memory and restarting seems to work the same way each time.  It is not in the manual and has changed little by little over the years - but maybe now it is a stable procedure?    I'm a patient man, but I have lost patience for this printer, and therefore HP printers in general.  Unless this insanity stops, my next printer will be anything but.

HP Recommended

Hi @choresis,

Thank you for your response, 

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.