Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank Plus 555 Wireless All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer refuses to feed glossy printer paper.

Using a torch, I can see the feed rollers pressing against the surface of the paper ok but they just rotate and slip on the surface of the paper.

If I push the paper down by hand, it will feed but only occasionally.

I have tried inserting single sheets of paper and multiple sheets but the result is the same, the paper will not feed.

No problems at all with normal printer paper, only with glossy.

I have given up trying to get a response from HP!!

EDIT: The problem seems to be limited to A4 paper size. If I load the printer with 10 x 15mm glossy paper, it prints every time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the solution myself.

I was removing my normal plain print paper when I wanted to print glossy and only inserting one sheet of glossy into the feed tray.

This meant that the feed rollers were at the extremity of their reach and so were not exerting enough pressure on the glossy paper.

Leaving the plain paper in the feeder and inserting my glossy paper on top, it feeds perfectly every time.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Depending on the pages you printed before each paper sheet has some paper dust on it if you print a lot that paper dust is stuck to the feed roller making heavier paper slip.

Use cotton swabs and alcohol to clean the rollers and that might fix your issue. Also, using a low quality photo paper can make paper feed problems.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I've only had the printer a few weeks and have hardly printed anything with it.

I've only printed about 4 photos and this problem manifested itself immediately.

I've tried lighter weight gloss paper with the same result.

The rollers don't seem to have a particularly rough surface on them, so I think this is a design problem.

I've always been a fan of HP but I'm afraid this experience makes me wish I had bought  different make.

HP Recommended

I have come to the conclusion that my problems are being caused by the paper I am using is too high a weight (255g)

I have ordered some 150g paper and will post an update with the result.

I can find nothing in the printer spec as to what the max paper weight is allowed.

HP Recommended

I found the solution myself.

I was removing my normal plain print paper when I wanted to print glossy and only inserting one sheet of glossy into the feed tray.

This meant that the feed rollers were at the extremity of their reach and so were not exerting enough pressure on the glossy paper.

Leaving the plain paper in the feeder and inserting my glossy paper on top, it feeds perfectly every time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.