Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet 1525 NW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Envelopes jam  but didn't used to. I've not changed paper type. I've updated firmware and software to the most current. I've confirmed the rollers are in good condition and there's nothing blocking the path. I've power cycled the printer several times. I'm stumped!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Are you feeding envelopes through the bypass or from tray 2? This device is likely on certified for feeding single envelopes through the bypass tray. That said, when printers are new and everything is perfect you can often get away with feeding paper from alternate locations. Once the printer is older that is often not the case.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I did try both tray 1 (feeding 1 envelope at a time, long-wise in, and also in tray 2 (removing all the paper and feeding it one envelope at a time, long-wise in). It used to print them either way before but not anymore. It does print regular 81/2 x 11 paper without problems.   Specifically, when I insert an envelope in tray 1, it pulls the envelope in, tries to print twice, then gives a  jam fault. When I open the tray, the envelope isn't jammed, it's just sitting there a few inches inside. I thought a roller was bad, but on inspection, they look okay. I thought it might be a belt (if it uses belts?), but again, regular paper prints. I'm stumped! 

HP Recommended

If it rotates twice trying to feed and fails then likely the pickup roller has worn just enough to not be able to feed the heavier media reliably. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you! That makes the most sense and is most probably exactly what's going on. 

HP Recommended

After a lot of experimenting, I found that if I curl the leading edge of the envelope upward in a slight gentle curve, the printer rollers correctly grab it and it successfully feeds.  I think Repairatrooper is correct: the feed roller Is likely worn and needs to be replaced. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.