Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

And once again, I am defeated by a printer.  I have a predefined print job that I have been using for years.  It involves printing labels onto an Avery 5444 sheet, which is 4x6 (the label size is 2x4).  I have everything set up properly (again, it's all pre-defined, I even wrote down a checklist for it!)  The print job errors out and the display says I need to load paper into the photo tray.  But everything is predefined for the main tray!  So I tried loading it into the photo tray.  It printed, but the label is misaligned - actually turned out that the label was scaled up about 20%.  I went through and made sure all my settings were right and tried again from the main tray.  Now it's telling me that the paper defined did not match the size detected by the paper sensor.  

I need not tell you, I grow quite weary of this.  I've been "into" personal computing since 1979, and my biggest roadblock has always been printers.  I need a fix as soon as possible.  Thank you for your indulgence.  

Addendum:  Tried to save this post, at first it told me to correct highlighted errors, and the error highlighted was that I had auto-saved content.  (So what?  It's always saving content!)  Then when I "corrected" that,  it told me that I was "post-flooding" since I had posted the same message again.  (Of COURSE I did! But you told me it didn't take the first time!)  -sigh-

==JJS==
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jimspy

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Does this only happen with label printing? When was it last working well?

Try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1776648-1643972-16

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Only with printing labels. Everything else I've learned how to control (somewhat).

Update says I'm already current. 

==JJS==
HP Recommended

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.