Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 [B3AE17] N911a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've received several Windows 10 updates and am up-to-date. My printer suddenly stopped printing No. 10 envelopes after years of having no issues. I noticed when I opened up the envelope print window the feeder illustration changed. In other words, the usual way the envelope feeds into the printer was somehow changed. I changed it back to the normal way to feed the envelope. The error happens like this. I correctly place the blank envelope into the printer feeder with adjusted holders like always.  I hit the print key. The printer engages but in the middle of the feed,  it stops before printing the envelope and gives this message. "Paper detected does not match paper size or type selected." I hit ok on the printer and a blank envelope is ejected. I've tried several times but keep getting the same message. As a test, I tried printing the address information (from the envelope print window) on an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper. It prints on this size sheet as if it were an envelope just fine without any error messages.  Is there a way to reset this or troubleshoot it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If your drivers are several years old consider them out of date and download and install the current driver.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Are you setting the paper size on the printer as envelope and not 8.5x11. Your description states that 8.5x11 feeds fine which likely means either you are not setting the paper size setting on the printer to envelope or you are not setting the program to print on #10 envelope size, or both.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help. As I stated, the setting is for a No. 10 envelope. I only tested printing an envelope on an 8.5 X 11 sheet to see if that would even work or if I would get the same error code.  I never changed a thing on my printer in "mailing" settings and could always print No. 10 envelopes without a hitch. All of the sudden, without changing anything I got this message. What about a driver update or reinstallation? To summarize, I only printed the envelope on an 8.5 X 11 to test to see if could print an envelope at all. The selection remained on No. 10 envelopes. 

HP Recommended

If your drivers are several years old consider them out of date and download and install the current driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much. I thought I had the latest software but downloaded and installed the newest one and is working fine. I think the new Windows 10 updates are causing havoc but this forced me to revisit the software even Windows 10 indicated all drivers were up-to-date. Thanks again! 

PS: With the updated software, des anyone else have a noticeable delay from the time you hit print to the moment when the printer actually engages? About 5 seconds for me. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.