Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8720
Microsoft Windows 11

I have printed on card stock with my HP 8720 for all 3 years I have had it.  All of a sudden, it won't print on card stock.  It just prints a couple of smudges and spits the paper out.  

Any suggestions?  

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@largin 

The printer might need a good cleaning.

Open / Read

HP OfficeJet Pro 8700 Printers - Paper Jam Error

Comments...

Three years seems young for this model - I've not even had my 8740 for three years and it was no longer available for sale back then.  So... Three years is not "old" .  Depending on the level of use, the printer might be showing signs of "wear".

Try the cleaning and the Reset / Restart (in the document).

Check your card paper again - load / reload the paper, etc.

Even try some different paper, though if your paper is stored correctly, it is probably OK.

Make sure the printer is aware of the Paper Size / Type in the printer.

Example - Retain / Modify / Check Paper Size & Type - Tray and Paper Management

Retain_Printing_Preferences_10Retain_Printing_Preferences_10

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, I will try your suggestions.  Side note,  I bought this printer new from Best Buy in Jan. 2018.  

I can print on plain paper just fine but all of a sudden, the card stock won’t print.  I have been playing with it for a few weeks now but will try your suggestions and keep my fingers crossed that it wants to print properly again. 

thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.