Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printer Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I apologize in advance for the tone of my message, but I originally wrote this to send to support, before realizing that they do not allow direct contact from customers (or make the contact form so obscure as to mean the same thing). I edited the irrelevant parts out...

I am posting my problem here since HP's Website is designed to -prevent- customers from reaching support, with even my serial number "not recognized." This strange policy confirms my suspicions about the latest firmware update (from August, 2018) for the 5660 printer, since apparently helping customers is not a high priority. I just hit a brick wall trying to get help, and this has nothing to do with my warranty status. If anyone (preferably from HP) can address my concerns, I will be very grateful.

I recently updated the firmware for this printer to the latest (1830B) because I was aware of the vulnerabilities the update addressed. However, as soon as I completed the upgrade, my genuine reused HP ink cartridges (XL, black) were no longer recognized by the printer, though I have been using these cartridges as long as I have owned the printer without issue. Although the then-currently installed black cartridge was nearly full, I installed a brand new (i.e., completely full) one and the printer recognized it, displaying the message "Genuine HP Reused Ink Cartridge Installed" (or something close to these words). After one or two print jobs, however, the cartridge is no longer recognized. I switched to my third and last remaining XL-size black cartridge, which also worked for two print jobs until the firmware refused to acknowledge it, prompting me to reseat it over and over again as if there were a hardware issue.

I suspect that the firmware update was designed to lock out all cartridges that are not purchased directly or indirectly from HP, although my current cartridges are legitimate (simply refilled). My hope is that I can download the previous firmware and revert it (from 1830B) to the previous one.

I paid a lot of money for these three completely full XL-size black cartridges. The issue has not affected my tri-color cartridge, because that one is straight from HP. It is obviously unacceptable to be cheated out of all that money. Naturally, if I don't receive any help, I will be spending the money not on HP cartridges but on a new, non-HP printer. 

Full details are provided after the body of this message (e.g., model number, product number, etc.).

Also, further confirming the fact that my black cartridges are legitimate is that the Printer Status Report reports a value of 1 for both the Color and Black ink zones in the HP section (Color: ink zone 1, HP 1; black: ink zone 1, HP 1).

I appreciate any help anyone can offer on this issue, including comments on whether my working theory that the issue is caused by design of the new firmware is correct or not.

Thanks in advance!

-Gavin

PRODUCT DETAILS FOLLOW --

MODEL NAME: HP ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printer series
MODEL NUMBER: 5660
SN redacted...

PRODUCT NUMBER: F8B04A
SERVICE ID: redacted
FIRMWARE VERSION: NLM2CN1830BR
FW PATCH VERSION: 0
COUNTRY/REGION: 15 / 1

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Gabhain

I understand your concerns and frustration

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.