Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7155
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Suddenly with 4x6 photo paper in the upper tray, it keeps stating to load 5x7 photo paper. Reset, restart.. nothing I've done corrects this problem.
Help, why won't the printer accept 4x6 when 4x6 i.d what's in the photo tray. Pull the photo paper to the front of the tray, center it, push to the back, no difference. Worked perfectly when new about 1 month ago. Only 4x6 has even been loaded into the photo paper tray
Do I need warranty?
15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Panther57

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! After reading your post I see that you printer is stating to use 5x7 photo paper and you want to print on 4x6 photo paper. I would like to help you out with this issue today.

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,                

Did you change the paper size settings before print photos?

If not follow the below steps:

Right-click the photo you want to print, select Open with, then select Windows Photo Viewer or Paint.

1. Click Print, or click File or the menu icon  (Paint), then click Print.

The Print or Print Pictures window opens with general print job settings.

2. Open the printer Document Properties window to access more layout, quality, color, and advanced print settings.

• In the Print Pictures window in Windows Photo Viewer, click Options... in the lower right corner of the screen, then click Printer Properties... in the Print Settings window.

• In the Print window in Paint, click Preferences.

• Figure : Example of printer Document Properties window with settings tabs and the Advanced settings button

HP Document Properties window with settings tabs and the Advanced settings button

3. Click on paper size and select 4 x 6.

4. Click OK, then click Print.

5. After printing, remove any photo paper from the tray and store it in the package it came in or in a plastic bag. If left in the tray for an extended time, the paper might start to curl.

You can also refer this HP Document for more assistance:- https://hp.care/2LaRavj

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sandytechy20,

Thanks for responding.

For a little background, I build PC's. fix them and product test. I have done just about everything I can think of, except an FW rollback and/or redo (it is current) or clean wipe restart.

I have been using the upper tray with no problems and many photos, all 4X7. The problem is like it's stuck on 5X7 and yet 5X7 has never been loaded. Not just me, family members will tab down to 4X7 on Andriod phones and it won't accept 4X7 from the drop down tab. Or it will and fail. Sometimes the option other than letter size aren't even able to seen in the drop down tab choices. The majority of 4X7 photos are from cell phones. 

In frustration, by the weekend I will clean slate, start over. Remove from Laptop, Reset and report back my results. It's a recient new to me printer, I own HP products and never have had this. The dual tray system is convient, fun and way better than constant paper changes.

HP Recommended

@Panther57

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I understand the issue better now.

I see that you have done most of the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue and still the issue persists.

Let try to update the printer firmware once again.

Here is the direct link to download the printer firmware :- https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/EN7100/EN7100_Full_WebPack_44.3.2218.exe

Refer this HP document to update the printer firmware:- https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c02919168.

This issue may require one to one interaction with the HP Phone Support.

I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You have a good day ahead.

If the issue persists, 

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sandytechy20

Awesome.. Today I did the gammet.. with no results. Even found all the layers of size settings, to no avail. Thanks for sending this, as I was only able to run the basics and this is what I was also hoping to find. I will report back within a few days.

Again Thanks a lot this should do it (fingers crossed)... I'm hoping F.W. too. I like where your heading with this.

HP Recommended

@Panther57

Thanks for keeping me posted.

Good to know we worked together and found a solution for this issue.

Feel free to contact us in feature if you need any assistance in feature.

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you,

Feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button so that it benefits several other.

Have a great day!

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sandytechy20,

I ran the link you sent. followed all steps, with little success.

After the reinstall and all updated, I again tried to use the 4X6 (oops I wrote 4X7) photo paper and results are different, but not successful. The first attempt, did agin state, install 5X7 photo paper, when 4X6 was selected. I kept pulling and reinserting the paper.. all forward, and if I do so, intermittantly it accepts and prints a 4X6 photo. That's after several, pull out and reinserting of the paper tray. Very frustrating, I have so many hours of check this, uninstall and reinstall, even looking over the printer for anything, even looked underneath. Letter paper, all good.  Selecting photo 4X6, envelope #10, it's acting confused. Out of about, literly 12 attempts to print 4X6, I was able to print 2. Tray, in/out, again and again to get that.

Help, next step.

Thanks for all of your assistance. 

HP Recommended

@Panther57

Thanks for keeping us posted. 🙂

It looks like you were interacting with sandytechy20, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

I have gone through the complete Post and I understand your concerns. I have escalated your concerns to HP’s Support Team to review your case. You should be contacted within 2 business days (this does not include weekends or holidays).

Thank you 🙂

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

KrazyToad,

Thanks much for your assistance. I sent a PM to Sandytechy20... I'll send the same message to you. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

HP Recommended

Has there been any success with getting it to work? I have the same problem and I do too work on computers and have my BSIT and still cannot get it to work. Is it just a design flaw or what? I cannot even get it to print doing the same thing as you Panther57. So any hope or get a different printer that works right with 4x6? If possible give me a heads up please.

Brandon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.