Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hey hey everyone it took me about a week to find this, but this is the absolute dummy proof to downgrading your M281 firmware

https://driver-hp.net/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m280-m281-driver/

HP Recommended

https://driver-hp.net/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m280-m281-driver/

did this last night, the process took about 5min, but finding this took several days. Enjoy and don't listen to hp bots

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Has anyone seen the MacOS version of the firmware file?

HP Recommended

Yes I have both the PC and MAC downgrades from 202006(19*) I stored them before HP removed them. 

HP Recommended

That is great. How can I obtain a copy?  I certainly will never update a printer again.  This is what happens when they hire incompetent people and put them in charge of something.

HP Recommended

I agree. Pushing out the firmware update, without warning it would disable the printer if you weren’t using HP cartridges is at best a dirty trick and at worst causing me to be unable to work from home as required by my employer. Many of us are working from home and paying for our own supplies. While I have been a loyal HP customer for many years, this “bait and switch” tactic has me rethinking that loyalty to HP, like many others on this thread. Please issue an update to the firmware since these printers are long past being under warranty coverage. 

HP Recommended

This is the only unit I can't find a factory reset or firmware downgrade for! If I knew it then I would not have bout it. I am giving them one month to fix the problem then the printer is trash I will open it up I think I may know a trick that will reset the printer's settings or could just kill it! it is now trash who cares? HP got their money from all of us, just don"t give them any more of your hard-earned cash. If they don't fix it I will never buy another HP and will start telling people not to buy HP products. I may start a third website to inform people why not to buy HP.

they want to sell you HP manufactured toner, Check the cost for a new printer it's cheaper to buy a new printer than buying HP toner. They are all about the same quality. buy a different company than HP.    HP wants everything to be proprietary to them so that they get your money. There used to be a PC company called Packard Bell they wanted everything to be proprietary and whet under do to their own stupidity.

Buy a different brand and watch HP collapse 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks. I am sure others can use this. Mine is already downgraded. I had a weird experience with fixing this. I tried a couple of methods of downgrading and nothing changed.  I went to bed and in the morning it was the same. Then about two hours later, the printer installed the downgrade and recalibrated.  I do no understand it but I will take it. I have a working printer again I did over the Internet connection.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.