Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4512
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer has quit duplex printing and printing in color. I have uninstalled the printer, removed all drivers, and have started over with the installation. It is still not duplex printing even though the options have been selected. Someone please help me. I am an online student and have to print a lot of things. Not being able to print on both sides automatically is costing me a fortune in paper.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Use HP printer software to set up a two-sided (duplex) printing job with an inkjet or LaserJet printer.

1. To avoid page ordering issues, load enough paper into the paper tray to complete your print job.

NOTE: 

To avoid paper jams, do not print on both sides of envelopes, photo paper, glossy paper, or transparencies. Do not print on paper lighter than 60 g/m2 (16 lb) or heavier than 105 g/m2 (28 lb).

2. Open the document you are printing, and then click File > Print.

3. Click Printer Properties, Preferences, or Printer Setup, depending on what displays.

The Properties window opens.

4. Determine if you want the pages to read as a booklet or a tablet.

Select booklet or tablet layout option

Callout

Description

Booklet layout

Tablet layout

5. Use one of the following methods to open and select duplex printing settings. Menu names vary by printer model.

• If a Layout, Features, or Finishing tab is available, click it, and select binding and page flip options in the Print on Both Sides or Print on Both Sides Manually settings.

Print on both sides menu in Windows

• If a Printing Shortcut tab is available, click it, select the Two-sided (Duplex) Printing shortcut, and then select a page flip option from the Print on Both Sides Manually or Two-sided (Duplex) Printing menu.

Two-sided printing shortcut in Windows

6. Click OK, and then click Print.

If the printer does not automatically print the other side, continue with these steps to manually reload the pages to print the other side.

7. Remove the printed pages from the output tray, and then reload them into the input tray.

NOTE: 

Follow any instructions on how to reload the paper that display on the computer.

• For most front-loading inkjet printers, load the stack printed side facing up with the bottom or top edge into the tray.

Reloading the pages for duplex printing with a front paper tray

• For most front-loading LaserJet printers, load the stack printed side facing down with the bottom or top edge into the tray.

Loading paper for duplex printing in a LaserJet printer

• For most rear-loading printers, load the stack printed side facing down with the bottom edge into the tray.

Reloading the pages for duplex printing with a rear paper tray

8. Click Continue to print the other side of the pages.

Duplex settings might carry over to the next print job. To change back to one-sided printing, remove the check next to Print on Both Sides or select None from the drop-down menu.

Follow the steps to resolve the color printing issue -

Follow the below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference. If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing in color.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Carrollrn,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are unable to duplex print and the printer does not print in color.

To assist better-

1. Are you able to make color copies?
  2.  What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page -

1. Load plain white paper in the paper tray.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Settings icon , and then touch Tools.

The Tools Menu displays.

3. Touch Print Quality Report.

ost the Print Quality Diagnostic page here so we can help you further. 

You may also refer to this document with steps to fix the " Print Quality Issues" issue applicable for your printer -  Print Quality Issues 

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I have tried printing from my phone and different programs on my computer and it has been the same thing. No duplex printing and no color printing. I have also looked for printer firm wear updates.

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me.

Please help me with the below details-

1. What is the ink level in the cartridges?
  2. Could share the print quality diagnostic report?
  3. Were you able to try the suggested steps?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

1. Ink levels are good. Color is completely full and black is 2/3 used.Printer Quality.jpg

3. Yes I have tried suggested steps and still having the same issue.

HP Recommended

Here is the printer quality again.Printer Quality_LI.jpg

HP Recommended

Use HP printer software to set up a two-sided (duplex) printing job with an inkjet or LaserJet printer.

1. To avoid page ordering issues, load enough paper into the paper tray to complete your print job.

NOTE: 

To avoid paper jams, do not print on both sides of envelopes, photo paper, glossy paper, or transparencies. Do not print on paper lighter than 60 g/m2 (16 lb) or heavier than 105 g/m2 (28 lb).

2. Open the document you are printing, and then click File > Print.

3. Click Printer Properties, Preferences, or Printer Setup, depending on what displays.

The Properties window opens.

4. Determine if you want the pages to read as a booklet or a tablet.

Select booklet or tablet layout option

Callout

Description

Booklet layout

Tablet layout

5. Use one of the following methods to open and select duplex printing settings. Menu names vary by printer model.

• If a Layout, Features, or Finishing tab is available, click it, and select binding and page flip options in the Print on Both Sides or Print on Both Sides Manually settings.

Print on both sides menu in Windows

• If a Printing Shortcut tab is available, click it, select the Two-sided (Duplex) Printing shortcut, and then select a page flip option from the Print on Both Sides Manually or Two-sided (Duplex) Printing menu.

Two-sided printing shortcut in Windows

6. Click OK, and then click Print.

If the printer does not automatically print the other side, continue with these steps to manually reload the pages to print the other side.

7. Remove the printed pages from the output tray, and then reload them into the input tray.

NOTE: 

Follow any instructions on how to reload the paper that display on the computer.

• For most front-loading inkjet printers, load the stack printed side facing up with the bottom or top edge into the tray.

Reloading the pages for duplex printing with a front paper tray

• For most front-loading LaserJet printers, load the stack printed side facing down with the bottom or top edge into the tray.

Loading paper for duplex printing in a LaserJet printer

• For most rear-loading printers, load the stack printed side facing down with the bottom edge into the tray.

Reloading the pages for duplex printing with a rear paper tray

8. Click Continue to print the other side of the pages.

Duplex settings might carry over to the next print job. To change back to one-sided printing, remove the check next to Print on Both Sides or select None from the drop-down menu.

Follow the steps to resolve the color printing issue -

Follow the below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference. If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing in color.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

HP Recommended

The scan doctor actually fixed both issues. Thank you for your help with this.

HP Recommended

You're welcome 🙂

I am glad the issue is resolved.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.