Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 7830

I have just bought the HP Envy 7830 and am already on the verge of returning it...

Every attempt to set up this printer on an iPad and iPhone with HP Smart App, and on a PC with both the app and manually has failed towards the end of setup.

Eventually, after 6 hours of battle, I realised it might be my ASUS router which uses Smart connect to provide 1 SSID for all frequencies, so on a whim I turned off the 5ghz connection on the printer and miraculously the PC could then connect and configure the printer properly.

But, one of my main reasons for getting this printer was the mobile features with iPad and iPhone and those devices still cannot connect to the printer even though they’re all on the same network.

i have no intention of changing all my settings on my router as the entire house network and all devices work perfectly with it at the moment (apart from this one). Are there any settings that can be tweaked on the printer or router to get this working as it should?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DamoUK, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you have issues connecting the printer to your iOS devices. Let us try some basic troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. Here is what you can do-

Ensure your iOS devices are updated.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Refer to the document HP Printers - Printing from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch for help. Also, you can try using the HP Smart App to configure the printer on your mobile devices. Use this document HP Printers - Install and Use the HP Smart App.

If the issue persists, connect your Apple device directly to the printer with Wi-Fi Direct or HP wireless direct.

note:

The following steps temporarily disconnect your Apple device from the Internet. If you are printing web-based content such as emails, webpages, or cloud-based documents, open them before proceeding.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on, ink cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main tray.

2. On your Apple iOS device, tap Settings, and then tap Wi-Fi.

3. Under the Choose a network menu, select your printer with DIRECT in the name.

4. If prompted for a password, type 12345678. This is the default password to log in.

5. Open the document, photo, email, or webpage you want to print, and then tap the Share icon or .

6. Tap Print or the Print icon to open Printer Options.

7. Tap Select Printer to select your printer.

8. Reconnect to your local Wi-Fi network after the print job completes.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DamoUK, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you have issues connecting the printer to your iOS devices. Let us try some basic troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. Here is what you can do-

Ensure your iOS devices are updated.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Refer to the document HP Printers - Printing from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch for help. Also, you can try using the HP Smart App to configure the printer on your mobile devices. Use this document HP Printers - Install and Use the HP Smart App.

If the issue persists, connect your Apple device directly to the printer with Wi-Fi Direct or HP wireless direct.

note:

The following steps temporarily disconnect your Apple device from the Internet. If you are printing web-based content such as emails, webpages, or cloud-based documents, open them before proceeding.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on, ink cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main tray.

2. On your Apple iOS device, tap Settings, and then tap Wi-Fi.

3. Under the Choose a network menu, select your printer with DIRECT in the name.

4. If prompted for a password, type 12345678. This is the default password to log in.

5. Open the document, photo, email, or webpage you want to print, and then tap the Share icon or .

6. Tap Print or the Print icon to open Printer Options.

7. Tap Select Printer to select your printer.

8. Reconnect to your local Wi-Fi network after the print job completes.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This seems to have worked perfectly. I wonder why it’s not been made common knowledge as this is so straightforward and not documented anywhere that I could find!

the solution was to connect to the DIRECT.... WiFi, set up the printer on the device and then revert to normal WiFi - hey presto, they can then see the printer as they should!

HP Recommended

@DamoUK

Thanks for replying!

Glad to know that the issue is resolved. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.