Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@Kumar0307 - case # 5065529075 is mine.

HP Recommended

@Felixcloudy

Replacing the printhead is not recommended as it may or may not resolve this issue and it costs as much as a new printer. If you would want to try replacing it, you may do it at your own discretion.

If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers or as you have already created a case, wait for an HP representative to contact you. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@kumar0307 Should I cancel the order then?  Replacing the printhead was recommended on the HP site - shocking how expensive it is.  Yes, the printer is out of warranty.

HP Recommended

@kumar0307 - you do realize the instructions you sent tell customers how to clean, reseat and if that doesn't work - order a new printhead.  I found those 2 days ago, and followed them.   So, this is NOT the solution recommended?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8600-e-all-in-one-printer-series-n911/4322914/...

HP Recommended

@Felixcloudy

Yes, it is mentioned in the support document to replace the printhead as the last resort. However, HP cannot guarantee that the replacement printhead will resolve this issue due to the age of the printer. If you have too many unused ink cartridges already bought and stored, you may try to use a new printhead and check if that helps. If not, HP representatives would not suggest customers for a replacement printhead.

In this case, as you have already ordered it, let us wait for it and hope it resolves the issue. The part could be in back order and hence the delay in shipment.

Keep me posted. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@kumar0307 Exactly, I do still have two full unopened sets of 950 XL plus the almost full HP ink still in the printer.  My calculation was I was throwing out almost the full value of a new HP - OfficeJet Pro 8035e  which I priced it at Best Buy.

If I open the new replacement printhead, and it doesn't work  - will HP accept a return?  The parts site doesn't say - I was assuming so, but now I am not sure... that would be AWFUL as it was part of my cost calculation.

HP Recommended

@Felixcloudy

I understand your concern. You will have to talk to the HP Parts Store team to find out the answer. I will send you the contact information via a private message. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, I am checking my accounts for receipts to see if I can return the HP 950 and 951 XL ink.  If I can find them and cancel the part order from HP Parts, I will likely go in the that direction - less flushing of sunk costs.

Honestly, this REALLY feels like completely manipulated planned obsolescence - but I need a printer, so it is what it is.  Do better HP.  Thank you @kumar0307.

HP Recommended

So, to all reading this thread.. HP Parts is shipping a print head, which they have said I can return for a full refund if it does not solve the "missing printhead" issue.  I have ALWAYS used HP cartridges, and the number of pages used on the printer over its life is relatively low, but def. higher in the last year.  I am guessing it has little to do with a bad print head.. and HP is back to bricking 8600 Officejet printers to force sales of new machines.  A guess only, as I can't back level a firmware update to see if my printer starts working.   I will post if the replacement print head miraculously works, stay tuned.

Smarter people than me should look into this... like HP's competitors, but they are all likely doing the same thing.  Completely forced obsolescence - just can't quite prove it.  Very similar to Apple pushing out iOS upgrades that degrade performance .. and customer eventually gives up and buys a new iPhone.  And more tech ends up in landfills...

Tech firms are diabolical.

HP Recommended

Hi HP, Any update on the firmware issue? I've lost web services too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.