Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - E710n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All of a sudden HP Smart won't let me sign in to my account through the app.

The sign in works on the web-based version of HP Smart. Works for the HP website too.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app from the Windows store. Downloaded and installed the latest printer software pack (drivers and software) from the HP web site. No, I am not connected through a VPN.

All that reinstalled software works just fine. Printer works fine. Just HP Smart app won't let me login, which means I can't do a quick scan from the desktop, a feature i use often.

The error message says contact HP Support but, that isn't easy either so I've ended up here.

Error message:

We're sorry, something went wrong

We’re experiencing connectivity issues related to account access. This could happen if you are connected to a VPN. Exit setup and try again later to resolve this issue.

If you continue to have issues setting up, contact HP Support.

(Error Code: OW_500_OWSID00001)
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @OzWonder

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting an error OW_500_OWSID00001. I like to help!

Please follow the steps below. 

Disconnect the Virtual Private Network (VPN) on your Windows computer, and then set up your HP+ printer.

We can’t connect to the service you need right now. Check your network connection or try this again later. message displays after you close the window with the error code OW_500_OWSID00001.

Disconnect from VPN

Disconnect from the VPN, and then connect to the internet.

Check if you are connected to a VPN, and then disconnect it.

Make sure that your Windows computer is connected to an active internet connection.

Complete the setup in HP Smart

On the error screen, click Exit Setup, and then try to set up the printer again.

If your printer is already available on the home screen:

Click Finish Setup.

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Hope this helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

You didn't read my post!!!

I don't use a VPN!!

Please read and understand the customer problem before throwing cookie cutter answers at the post.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem and I also don't use a VPN.  I cannot use my scanner.

Very frustrating.

HP Recommended

This solution is crap.

HP Recommended

Hi @OzWonder,

If the issue persists, I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for an HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer and try printing.
Also do the windows update. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi @rcraggy,

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting an error OW_500_OWSID00001. I like to help!

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for an HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer and try printing.
Also, do the windows update. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

So I finally got a response with some advice 19 days after my post. Better than never I guess.

I had uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and the driver multiple times before I first posted. It made no difference.

My good news is that the problem seems to have fixed itself.

I suspect it was caused by a breakdown in the integrity of the HP driver interface with the Windows OS. Between the original post and the next time I tried to use the scanner there had been at least two Windows updates of different types.

I can't say that the help from HP was any help at all in actually solving the problem. Thanks for trying ......... eventually!

HP Recommended

Hi @OzWonder,

I'm glad to hear that you got it fixed, and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello community!

The link below may help you:

HP Smart app errors during setup and account registration 

Regards,

SofiaML

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.