Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8024 All-in-One Printer

HP should release firmware with Dynamic Security disabled

Or at the least an option to switch it off

My Firmware was updated by HP without my permission, and now my printer is a brick.

It looks like there is a lawsuit about this kind of behaviour:

A proposed class action claims HP, Inc. has transmitted firmware updates to its printers that block customers from using third-party ink and toner cartridges and force them to buy more expensive HP-branded supplies.

According to the 25-page lawsuit, the firmware updates essentially “act as malware” by adding, deleting or altering the printers’ code to render competitors’ products incompatible with HP printers. Per the case, the firmware update, or at least the portion that blocks the use of third-party cartridges, “serves no legitimate business purpose” and blindsides customers who were never warned that the update would strip them of their ability to buy less expensive supplies for their printers.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Can anyone help with this?

I'm still waiting on a reply from HP

Please post here to get HP to take notice

HP Recommended

Did you purchase an 8024 or an 8024E?

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper

It's an OfficeJet Pro 8024

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper

Can you help with the firmware?

HP Recommended

I work in the Enterprise field and support Laserjet, Pagewide and Designjet products but not Officejet products. On many products if you can find either the .RFU file for the old firmware or the old version of the update utility (which you can extract a .FUL files from) you can force the old firmware. With a .FUL file you can often copy the file to a USB stick and then insert into the front USB port on the printer. The .RFU is applied using a command through the command line window in Windows 7 or 10.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper

Many thanks for your input.

Where can I find the .RFU / .FUL files? 

Do you know anyone who supports the OfficeJet Pro?

Also, the OfficeJet pro 8024 does not have a front USB port

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper

Are you able to help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.