Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

THIS TOPIC IS OBSOLETE. 

I'ved use the scan-to-pdf utility frequently. Starting yesterday, it stopped working, with error message " HP imaging device was not found". I contacted HP support (chat) and the agent remoted-in to my computer and went through numerous tasks, uninstalling and re-installing printer software. His effort were stymied when he was unable to uninstall a printer driver. Now, I've removed and re-added the printer, but I still get the error message. I can print and scan OK, but the utility still gives the error message.

The printer is still under warranty, and recently HP replaced it for a printing issue. There was no issue with the utility program with the original printer. Just to be clear on the exact program I'm referring to, the name of the executable is "HP Scan Extended\bin\HPScan.exe". And the error message that sent me to HP support was "scanner communication cannot be established".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@fredfrog2019

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue:  

Root level uninstall and reinstall printer drivers

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here.

• If the issue continues, uninstall and reinstall printer Basic drivers from the link: Click here
  • If the issue still continues, install using Using the Windows Built-in Print DriverClick here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I executed the steps you suggested. The only glitches were:

*  run “c:/programdata”
Removed the double-quotes.
*  Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
Remove HP OfficeJet 5200 series PCL-3 says
ERROR The specified printer driver is currently in use
I went to Devices and Printers and added printer back

The hp scan-to-pdf utility still fails with HP Imaging Device was not found. Just to clarify, the utility that I'm trying to run is HPScan.exe

Also, I had opened a support chat at HP. They thought the issue was with the driver-install program failing, and that it wasn't an HP issue at all, it was an issue with the Dell computer to which the printer is connected! I went to Dell, they remoted-in to my computer and were able to remove the driver-install program and the driver. I ran the utility again and it failed again. I'm mentioning this only because I have 2 HP case numbers and I thought you might be able to get (or give) some info to them about what we have done: 5048860321 6/9 and  5049192676 6/16.

Regardless of whether you are able to contact HP, I sincerely appreciate your help here. The printer is still under warranty and this will be yet another point to make in trying to get HP to find a way to make this right. It's amazing how many hours I and HP support and you have spent to support a $125 printer!

HP Recommended

Do you think it could be a problem not with the printer software, but with the scan utility? HP support didn't once mention that as a possibiity; maybe it just didn't occur to them?

HP Recommended

@fredfrog2019

Thank you for posting back. 

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.)  Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please ignore this reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.