Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5640
iOS

I have updated my printer with the latest firmware and software but since the latest IOS 11 update I am unable to print via my iPad and iPhone. My iMac is till working OK, so is there another software update due from HP to enable compatibility? I have contacted Apple Support who suggested this may be needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @TavJ,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you are unable to print from your iPad and iPhone to your HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Print and Scan from the HP Smart App

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

Hi @TavJ,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you are unable to print from your iPad and iPhone to your HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Print and Scan from the HP Smart App

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

The same problem with iPad and HP printer after IOS 11. No connection but allright with MacBook Pro. Strange.

tried app HP Smart and no connection

HP Recommended

Thanks for this. This works, but it has changed as I was able to just send a document to be printed, now I have to save it to a file and then print it. Well at least this works but why put another step into the process? Why not tell your customers this is necessary.

Currently my iMac still works by clicking the print icon on the screen. Will this change once I update to High Sierra? 

HP Recommended

Hi @TavJ,

You are welcome.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved except for the step that you need to save the file before printing.

I also appreciate your time and patience.

We cannot assure you that the extra step of saving the file before printing will be eliminated if you update to High Sierra because thats how the App is designed.

Feel free to ask your queries in future in this forum and we will there always to help you.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow23,

I think you may have misunderstood my comment.

I am not aware of an HP print app on the iMac only for the IOS devices, iPad, iPhone. Currently the iMac (macOS Sierra) has several options to print, either from an icon at the top of the page or a drop down option. I was therefore asking if these methods would still be available on the iMac or whether an App would be required to be downloaded.

It appears that I now have two HP scan options for my iMac since downloading the latest HP sotware, but no new print options.

By the way do I just delete the earliest scan icon on the iMac, as both once clicked open to different scan methods.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @TavJ,

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

You can go ahead and remove the old scan icon and use the latest one.

Hope that answers your question.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Seems to me this is actually an Apple problem!

I installed the HP app and it will happily print from ipad on ios 11.0.1 to HP Envy 7640 - BUT any attempt to print from other Apps simply gets the "printer connecting" message. You can then go back to the HP and and happily print again.

Sooooo..................... everyone needs to post on Apple's forums and support site to get them to fix it.

(Far too inconvenient to use the "fix" suggested here of always having to print by two stages via the HP App!!!!)

HP Recommended

I, too, am having problems with airprinting to my envy 4520 printer from my iPad or iPhone with iOS 11.0.2. When I click on the print button, it will see the printer and either not print or I get the error message of ‘contacting printer’. Now, sometimes I can print then the next day not at all. I did send feedback to Apple on this. I can easily print from my Windows computer, the HP smart app sees the printer and I can print through there. I just need the simple way of printing back again. I guess we will have to wait and see what Apple does if anything. 

HP Recommended

Keith - in another forum a contributor called ThRustyBucket has  found the following solution, which has worked for me and some others -

1. upgrade printer to latest firmware if not at that level
  2. factory reset printer
  3. turn off IP6 (in settings/network)
  4. attach printer to your Wi-fi network again
  5. force re-boot of your iOS devices by holding power/Home until logo appears
  6. try printing. You will (eventually) get a message saying iOS already knows this printer, do you want to continue? Answer yes. 
  7. Printing appears!

no guarantees! But it has worked for me and I can now print from iOS apps like email, safari etc. 

Goid luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.