Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet MFP M28-M31
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

It's not possible t connect the printer via USB cable, the status of the printer is always Unknown or not connected

I've asked Apple support, the pb seems to be a driver pb, but I can't find the right driver for OS Big Sur .

Using HP smart app don't allow me to install the driver 

Have you any solution ?

Unfortunately, the warranty is over for 5 days !

Thanks

Bruno

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow below version of HP Easy Start, as soon as it launches open the top HP Easy Start menu and select Uninstall HP Software.

Follow the steps on screen and then click on Set Up New Device and follow the steps to reinstall the printer:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

As soon as HP Easy Start prompt to install HP Smart from the Store, close this window and skip to the software installation, then follow the steps to install the HP Essential Software, then try printing via USB after the installation completes.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Shlomil

Thanks for your help.

I've tried your method, but it doesnt'work, the process of installation is stopped at the step of connecting the printer via USB, I've got a message meaning that the cable is not connected to the printer, but the cable is effectively connected via USB !

I'm disappointed !

Thanks

Bruno

HP Recommended

Is the printer powered on and ready at this stage? you should see the power light solid lit with no other lights shown, press cancel to wake up the printer if it sleeps.

Then make sure the cable is connected to the printer and also to the Mac directly, not through any USB hubs, extensions, etc. and ensure you use a standard length USB cable, not longer than 1.5-2 meters.

Also try plugging it to another USB port of the Mac and check, if the same persists I suggest trying a different USB cable to deny a problem with the used cable.

May you see any difference then?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Is the printer powered on and ready at this stage? you should see the power light solid lit with no other lights shown, press cancel to wake up the printer if it sleeps.

Yes

Then make sure the cable is connected to the printer and also to the Mac directly, not through any USB hubs, extensions, etc. and ensure you use a standard length USB cable, not longer than 1.5-2 meters.

That's OK

Also try plugging it to another USB port of the Mac and check, if the same persists I suggest trying a different USB cable to deny a problem with the used cable.

Plugged to another USB port, but same result

Unfornataly, I have not another USB cable to test with this computer, but the printer is relatively recent (1 year) and when make a test of  plugging this cable on my other Mac (a MBA) it's OK 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.