Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP 6978 printer is more than 10 years old.  It is a Remanufactured printer and I used it with HP ink for many years.  I finally switched to Vendor ink an that has worked fine for 7+ years.  2 months ago HP sent down a new firmware update and I delayed installing it until I finished my Income Taxes and printed this years tax returns.  This was all done with vendor ink that I have  used for years.   As soon as I installed the latest update the printer kept telling me the ink cartridge were no good.  The printer was locked up on the "Error Page" saying ink was bad or not recognized.  There was no way to install or change anything from my Computer since the screen and the printer were locked at the error screen.   I purchased another set of Vendor ink that has the highest quality rating.  This only produced the same error code saying there was a problem with the black and Blue ink.  I understand that HP has released new software for very old printers that would stop the error checking.    I am not going to purchase new  HP ink that cost 2x as much as I paid for the printer.   I know there is nothing wrong with the printer,... it is just the latest software update.

Bud

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @trigger19371,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I'd like to help!

You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

There are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it's not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Rachel,..  More than a month ago there was a software update to my HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer.  In the very next reboot the display came up with a note that the black and blue in were not recognized.   I have been using vendor ink on this printer for over 5 years without a problem, and now the screen is locked at the error message and would change to anything.  It is locked.  I went online and purchased all new HP ink for my printer removed all old and and intalled the new HP ink.  Within 1 minute the screen came back that the Magenta and the black ink were not recognized and was still locked and would not change to any other screen.   All of the inks were valid HP ink and should have been recognized.  Now the printer won't do anything and won't respond to any of the keys on the printer.  It is locked out and still has brand new HP ink.  The printer won't even try and read what is installed.  My work with HP printers goes back for 22 years and I've always had HP printers.  My current printer is working fine if I could get it out of the locked state, especially since it now has all new HP ink carts.  My ID has changed over the years and now my email is [Personal Information Removed]

Hope you can help.  If not I have to take a good printer to the dump.

Bud

Please help  

HP Recommended

@trigger19371, I do not have anything to add in solving your problem, but have a warning for you. Now that you have posted your email in an open forum like this, your are a prime target for receiving directed spam from people posing as HP and offering all sorts of help, for a cost.. I have requested that the moderator remove your email address, but please be vigilante for emails posing as HP support

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.