Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet CP3505x
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I just received a used Color LaserJet CP3505x from a friend, but cannot get it to work on my iMac. Unfortunately I don’t have a driver/installer CD.

Although Apple’s printer list website says the printer is supported, macOS does not find it when trying to add it via "Add printer" in system preferences. It doesn’t appear in the list although correctly connected via USB.

I couldn’t find any mac drivers for this printer on the HP Support website (also not on 123.hp.com).

What can I do? Where can I find a mac driver for this printer?

kind regards,

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

Your printer drivers are available from Apple Software Update indeed, any drivers should not be installed from hp.com but should be detected automatically indeed.

Please try connecting the USB cable to another port of your Mac and see if you may get any difference then.

Also, make sure the USB cable is not longer than 1.8m long and is directly connected to your computer without any USB hubs, extensions, etc.

Finally, please try getting another USB cable for a printer and check, such cables may not work correctly after a long time.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi, thanks for your reply!

I've already tried three different USB cables on all four USB ports of my mac. None works. All of the cables & ports work perfectly with other devices.

kind regards,

Chris

HP Recommended

Update:

I've now tried to connect the printer via Ethernet to my WiFi router, which worked.

Also, when I print the configuration info sheet, in the "Security" section it reads USB / IEEE 1284: DEAVTIVATED. Is there any way to acticate / deactivate USB connectivity?

P.S. Yes, both of those actions should have come to my mind earlier…

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.