Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
125nw
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Hi,

I can't use scanner anymore on new MacBook with Big Sur MacOs. There are no more scanner drivers available on hp website. Just  HP Easy Start application which doesn't help. I can only use printer via AirPrint. Anyone sorted this out?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Paul1611,

I'd like to help!

To assist better-

1. How is the printer connected to the device USB or wireless?
  2. Are you able to scan using image capture?
  3. What is the error you receive when you use HP Scan?
  4.  Is there antivirus software installed on your Mac? 

Let me know!

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you. Please find my answers in green below:

1. How is the printer connected to the device USB or wireless? HP device connected via ethernet to wifi router. MacBook connects to HP device via wireless. I can reach HP configuration website/panel in my local network. Printer also works fine.
  2. Are you able to scan using image capture? No, there is no scanner available. 
  3. What is the error you receive when you use HP Scan? HP Easy Scan - no scanner selected (nothing to select)
  4.  Is there antivirus software installed on your Mac? No

Generally I have no idea how to install scanner feature(drivers?). Printer is working fine via AirPrint. I can't even download scanner drivers from HP website anymore. The only "driver" I can download is HP Smart. When I run HP Smart it reports HP device as "ready".

HP Recommended

Try the below suggestions -

1. Uninstall HP Smart -Please delete from /Users/Username/Library/Application Support/HP Smart. Then delete HP Smart from the Applications folder 
  2. Try updating mac/ios and printer firmware
  3. Install HP Smart from the APP store 

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 
     To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

If the issue persists, Install HP Easy Start 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

Hi

Mac is up to date. Printer cannot be updated - there is no any firmware update available for mfp m125nw.

I followed your instructions but no change - scanner is not available for any scanning app including HP EasyScan.

HP Recommended

Were you able to install HP Smart and scan using the app?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have managed to upgrade firmware of my printer using Windows machine. Firmware update app didn't work on Mac (see attached).

Printer works fine but I still cannot see scanner in any scan application. Please see attached.

Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 09.03.27.pngScreenshot 2021-10-09 at 09.04.32.png

HP Recommended

@Paul1611

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's remove and add the Printer as Bonjour Multifunction:

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign and then delete the printer.

Select the bonjour multifunction as an option: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1994828-1994872-16

Once done, please try scanning using Image Capture.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Many thanks for prompt response. I have followed the advice but it didn't help. Still no scanner available.

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 21.24.00.pngScreenshot 2021-10-11 at 21.24.33.png

HP Recommended

Do try using Easy Start and scan.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.