Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet J4680
Other

Hey all,

I recently got an Officejet j4680 printer second-hand with very little use but I can’t find drivers for my MacBook Air running macOS 12.1 Monterey. How can I get drivers to print, copy, fax and scan with the J4680?

If it’s not possible to get HP drivers, someone said something about Gimp Print or some type of 3rd party print drivers that can work. Is that really a thing? I can’t really afford to buy a new printer and ink right now.

Please help!

sterl1i
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @sterl1i 

Try to install the driver with the next one from Mac:

* Click on YES button  to say thanks, 

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.

Best regards,

ferRX.

dodecaedron

@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.
HP Recommended

Thanks, @FerRX!

Who is JD142? 

I visited the link you provided in your post. I’m not sure I understand what “… the driver with the next one from Mac” means. This is an old printer and a brand new laptop running macOS 12.1 Monterey. Look at what I circled below:

26C172D8-7FE1-4C0D-A5C5-A31514E61F7D.jpegI have macOS v12!!!

Do you have another suggestion? I looked at Gimp Print but I don’t think there’s anything there either. Is there another third-party driver that would make this work?

sterl1i
HP Recommended

Ok @sterl1i ,

Then try to install with the next driver:

https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2021/macos/071-46903-20211101-0BD2764A-901C-41BA-9573-C17B8FDC4D90/Hew...

* Click on YES button   to say thanks, 

Best regards, 

ferRX.

dodecaedron

HP Recommended

@ferRX 

Did you even READ my post??? I know how to download! This isn’t for my version of the system software. All you did was copy the link of the actual download. It’s the same thing you sent before. If you don’t have anything else to offer, please don’t reply.

sterl1i
HP Recommended

Hi @sterl1i ,

Please remember I am a volunteer, I am just trying to give some guidance on software install for HP printers. 

So I am trying my best recommendations for install the printer, 😊

If I am not helpful, I understand and I can run away 🏃‍ and hold forever my silence 🤐

I am aware of the version software that appears in that link.

However Apple is constantly updating their software for fixes.

And if you look in the link provided you can see that it shows "2021"  while the page shows it was updated on 2020.

So the information on that page is not very accurate and that link is updating because Apple is doing fixes.

That is why I recommended to try the install with that Apple link.

You can follow the steps to add a HP printer with the steps from next document:

And also follow the steps from next videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCMMjdumWKI&ab_channel=WixWireless

Hope this steps helps you to add your printer 😊

* Click on YES button  to say thanks, 

Best regards,

ferRX.

dodecaedron

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.