Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All, 

Historically there has been a "Scan to Computer" option available from the LCD display at the printer.

However the other day when I clicked the option, it was failing to locate any computers on the local network.

That prompted me to perform a software and driver reinstallation on the source computer.

Immediately following that process the "Scan to Computer" option completely disappeared from the LCD display. 

I have read a few other threads which claim this feature needs to be turned on via the printer settings.

To that end, there is absolutely no option to turn this feature on located anywhere.

Figure 1: Scan options accessed via Windows PC using HP Printer Assistant

Printer Issue.PNG

Figure 2: Scan Settings accessed via Windows PC using HP Smart App

Cristaldi89_0-1617115680987.png

Additionally one can access via a Web Browser by typing in the IP address, however the UI is identical to Figure 2.

Does anyone know what is going on here, it seems HP perhaps has deliberately removed this feature seemingly overnight?

Granted, the other features do work albeit very cumbersome to set up.

Technical Background

Windows 10  x64 Lenovo PC.

Product Name: HP Color LaserJet MFP M281fdw

Control Panel Version: 0x08

Firmware Datecode: 20200612

****NOTE: I am aware of a newer version of the Frimware, however we updated back in October when it was released and the printer would not work. 

It would go into a power loop wherein it would restart itself every 30 seconds.

I traced the issue approximately down to an issue with the software controlling the WiFi adapter.

When the WiFi adapter was disabled at the printer, it would stay on and one could print via USB cable.

However as soon as the WiFi was turned back on at the printer it would power cycle again. 

This happened regarless of the WiFi network nor frequency band. 

As such I downgraded the Firmware to the June 2020 version and it has been Wifi printing and stable since.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.