Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5020 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have had this printer for about a year and been using it without any problems.  However, since around 8 October 2020 I have been having no end of issues.

Last week I was unable to print or do any scanning as I kept getting "Printer offline" messages, when it clearly wasn't.  Today, I have managed to add the printer through Settings -> Devices.  I am able to print from programs such as Word, however I cannot do any scanning.

When I open the HP Smart app, it prompts me to Add Printer.  I click this and my printer is clearly listed with a circular green spot indicating that it is online.  The screen says "If you want to connect to your printer using Wi-Fi, make sure the printer is on and click Refresh. To set up a printer not listed, click Set Up a New Printer".  So I click the icon with my printer on it and receive the message "Select a Different Printer. HP ENVY 5000 series must be turned on to add it to HP Smart. Once the printer is turned on, tap OK to refresh, and then select the printer again."

Following these steps makes no difference.  Can anyone please advise how to add my printer on the HP Smart app so that I can scan again?

Many thanks,

Peter

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Has anyone out there got a clue how to fix this??  I don't understand how it can work fine for months and then suddenly stop.  Unbelievably frustrating.

HP Recommended

I have the same message with HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 and have no idea how to solve it

HP Recommended

Got some help through HP Support on Twitter.

They suggested turning on the Bluetooth radio on the printer, but I wasn't able to do so.  The printer stayed stuck on the "Bluetooth Smart is turning On" message, even after a hard reset.

Then I tried connecting a USB cable to laptop and to the Printer to update the Firmware.  But when I run EN5000_2025A.exe I cannot select my printer - it is greyed out on the list.

_yIEN_nw.png

They then suggested calling the HP Home Support Team but I cannot find the UK number anywhere.

Tempted to chuck it in the bin and get a new printer.  Absolutely fed up.

HP Recommended

Hi Pete, did you get this sorted? I have the same issue. Cheers, Ben

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.