Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear all, i want to throw my machine out of the window...

For some reason my Envy 5540 stopped printing in colour and automatically in duplex so i updated the driver and it worked - for one day - then reverted to monochrome and manual double-sided print.

Following advice from this forum I deleted my printer and reinstalled it, and have spent the best part of an hour  - after inserting the machine's serial numer - waiting to find the relevant software and driver from HP's website.  Despite it asking for up to 3 minutes to do this, it's just not returning any results and i consequently now have no printer, no real techno skills, a business to run, no one to call and a website that is not helping in the slightest.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give. Thank you.

Debs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Debs66 - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Support Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your printer issue!

I understand that you are facing issues while printing in color using the Envy printer. To assist you with this issue, I need to know whether the printer can make a "Photocopy" or not.

Place a color document face down on the scanner glass and press the color copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

If the copy comes out fine, try the steps below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel – Devices and Printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61237/mp-147823-1/EN5540_Basicx64_1119.exe to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, @Debs66 - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Support Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your printer issue!

I understand that you are facing issues while printing in color using the Envy printer. To assist you with this issue, I need to know whether the printer can make a "Photocopy" or not.

Place a color document face down on the scanner glass and press the color copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

If the copy comes out fine, try the steps below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel – Devices and Printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61237/mp-147823-1/EN5540_Basicx64_1119.exe to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you DVortex for your help - it worked and I'm pleased and relieved. Greatly appreciated.

While this is the case, and I know not your fault or issue, this experience has raised the issue for me of tying myself into a printer and consumables contract with a company that i cannot recieve a quick response to in the event of a functional error. It appears from online searches that the issue has affected a number of consumers - perhaps an update or some kind that caused an error? - but it took a number of hours of my time to manage. Perhaps as a huge organisation HP could consider an online chat function for immediate support?

Thank you again on a personal level. Kind regards. Debs

HP Recommended

Hi again @DVortex. Just wanted to pass on that the issue has occurred again today and I have just had to spend time re-doing the fix you provided. Again, I appreciate it, but i would be grateful if you could pass on the those in the Gods that there is a problem with this. I shouldn't have to keep doing this to use my printer.

Thank you. Debs

HP Recommended

@Debs66

Hi,

as @Dvortex is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Do let me know if the issue is fixed as of now or if it is still going on. We will work out some thing.

Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.