Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
m134 laserjet
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I also have the option of 'use available media' but that only prints the first page. 

I've checked for obstructions  in the tray, made sure the paper is not damaged and unplugged all attachments and cords.  When I power up, the same message appears. 

I've also tried re-installing the software.

Any help will be much appreciated, as the printer is only 18 mo old.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Carol73

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are getting 'load tray 1" error.

Follow the below steps to fix this issue.

Check the paper size and type settings

Change the paper size and type from the program you are printing from.

1. In the program you are trying to print from, click File, and then click Print.

The Print window opens.

2. Open the Properties dialog box.

Depending on the software program, the button might be Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.

3. Click the Paper Quality tab, and then select the paper type from the Media drop-down menu.

4. Click Advanced, select a paper size from the drop-down menu, and then click OK.

5. Click OK to apply the settings, and then click Print.

Print a cleaning page to clean the paper feed and pick rollers

1. Search Windows for your printer model, and then click the printer name in the list of results.

HP Printer Assistant opens.

2. Click Print, and then click HP Device Toolbox.

3. Click the System tab, and then select the Service page.

4. In the Cleaning Mode area, click Start to begin the cleaning process.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
to HP.Support.Forum

Sorry for the late reply; I posted incorrectly and then had login prob lems.

Thanks for the advice but I tried it twice and it didn't work.  Then I tried 'set preferences' and ended up at the same dialogue box.  Then I tried 'customize' (properties, advanced) and got the same dialogue box.  Then under 'device status' there is a list which starts 'load tray 1'.

Anything else I can try?  It will copy so it is a print problem.
HP Recommended

@Carol73

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. Please direct message me also to help resolve. My printer can no longer print from any computer in my house. Just started happening. Followed all directions and no help. M277N. 6 months old. Windows 10. 

HP Recommended

@JeffDIsr,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I understand you are having issues related to printer. No worries, I'll be glad to help you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Have you tried to check the print settings?

Have you tried to update the printer firmware?

Let's start off by updating the printer firmware. If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website. Click here to download the firmware update for your printer. Once done, restart the printer.

For more details on how to update, please use this link:  HP LaserJet - Update the firmware

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to do a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Change the paper size and type from the program you are printing from.

1. In the program you are trying to print from, click File, and then click Print.

The Print window opens.

2. Open the Properties dialog box.

Depending on the software program, the button might be Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.

3. Click the Paper Quality tab, and then select the paper type from the Media drop-down menu.

4. Click Advanced, select a paper size from the drop-down menu, and then click OK.

5. Click OK to apply the settings, and then click Print.

Print a cleaning page to clean the paper feed and pick rollers

1. Search Windows for your printer model, and then click the printer name in the list of results.

HP Printer Assistant opens.

2. Click Print, and then click HP Device Toolbox.

3. Click the System tab, and then select the Service page.

4. In the Cleaning Mode area, click Start to begin the cleaning process.

For more details, please follow this link: HP Color LaserJet Pro M252, M274, M277 Printers - 'Out of Paper' Error, Printer Does Not Pick Paper

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.