Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740 & (HP Envy)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop about a year old - I connected it then to printer and it worked initially.

Using wireless router - a separate tablet computer can still connect wirelessly to printer and print successfully, but for no obvious reason, now cannot print from the HP Envy laptop, so followed standard HP troubleshooter instructions - have uninstalled the printer software from laptop, etc.

The problem is getting the printer software reinstalled (using the HP troubleshooter). The printer is detected on the wireless network (when 'searching for printer'), but it is not possible for the laptop to retrieve the printer software for me to install. Tried the alternative - using USB cable - but this was worse, as the printer could not be detected by the laptop.

Please help.

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found that there was an update available to download when I switched on computer yesterday. Installing the update has also installed the printer software. It appears that the printer is now working!

Thanks Sandy for your help.

Alan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@AlanR21

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Officejet 5740 Printer. I understand that you are trying to setup wireless connection on the printer and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity.

Set the default printer and unpause printing.

Reset the printer and check the connection status.

Make sure the correct port is selected.

Update the printer firmware.

Add the printer using HP Printer Assistant.

1. From the Device and Printers window, right-click one of the HP printer icons, and then click Remove Device.

2. If a second printer icon is shown, right-click it, and then click Remove Device.

There should be no printer devices listed for your printer.

3. Open HP Printer Assistant. Search Windows for your printer name, and then click it in the list of results.

HP Printer Assistant opens.

4. Read and respond to the screens to add a new printer.

5. From the Devices and printers window, right-click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

The Properties window opens.

6. Click the Ports tab, and then select the Standard Port you created earlier.

A second printer displays in the list of devices.

7. Try printing

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the reply. I am finding it difficult to know where to begin, with your instructions.

Do I go straight to '1.From Devices and Printers Window....' or open the HP Print and Scan Doctor to go through the list in bold (Set the default printer and unpause printing)?

Alan

HP Recommended

I found that there was an update available to download when I switched on computer yesterday. Installing the update has also installed the printer software. It appears that the printer is now working!

Thanks Sandy for your help.

Alan

HP Recommended

For future references on this type of problem, as Alan says he found out in 7/3 reply, all that was needed in the first place was to download/re-install onto the computer  the most recent update of the printer's software. 

To obtain the most recent software updates (firmware is part of the software), Simply  goto 123.HP.com and follow the instructions.  It automatically finds the software for your device and downloads/installs.  It should work then.  You can do this at any time a problem exists as a possible solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.