Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
0fficejet6958
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have owned multiple  HP computers for over 20 years and many, many HP printers. I have always felt HP was an excellent company, with good values and a solid history of philanthropy. Unfortunately, I am being forced to change my opinion. My 6958 printer recently auto installed the new firmware. This "helpful" update, now has got me quite agitated about your values and financial models. I recently needed some ink for my printer- I am not sure if it was really out of ink or the new firmware rendered it "empty"  In any event, I wanted to purchase new 902 cartridges for the printer. As you well know, the pricing on these cartridges is over $100. This has been pointed out to be  more expensive per ounce than fine champagne. I decided to go  with an aftermarket cartridge manufactured by Smartink. This was at 1/5 the cost of HP ink. As you probably know, I did get reinstall error messages as my own printer tried to lock me out, but with some determination and some help from the folks at smartink, I was able to revert to an earlier,"friendlier" firmware version, and my printer now works. I would have been cool with , let's say a $40 HP cartridge set , knowing it to be of high quality- but $100? You have to be kidding. I understand that if my printer was under warranty, and I wished to use aftermarket cartridges, I would void that, and couldn't count on you guys for support--but after that warranty is expired-it really should be my choice if I want to use cheap ink. Imagine having a Ford car under warranty, and when its software is upgraded it forces me to use Ford tires , gas or parts! What's next- only HP paper? Electricity generated in power plants with HP computers?   I understand your business model- you basically give this lovely , complex printer away  for very little money, and then you get the annuity of ink sales forever. Perhaps you should sell 2 models- one cheap but must use HP ink, and one more expensive that can use anyone's ink.  Additionally, I don't appreciate the Trojan horse method of auto updates(which you  euphemistically call something like  Dynamic Web Connectivity) and have now  disabled that. I think you guys need to think this through more carefully- you are pissing off many long term HP customers, who will likely look elsewhere.  Finally, in a pandemic, when many folks are working from home, and making less money, overcharging them for ink doesn't seem the best strategy for reputation building.. Can you say class action lawsuit?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@csp57

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.