cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
WindowLinuxUser
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Windowds Update install error: Hewlett-Packard - USB - 6/1/2018 12:00:00 AM - 46.2.2631.18152

HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M15w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There are already multiple posts about similar problems with Windows 10 update: when one is trying to install a new Feature Update, Windows Update throws an error: "A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we’re trying to install".

In my case a guilty driver is: Hewlett-Packard - USB - 6/1/2018 12:00:00 AM - 46.2.2631.18152.

Nevertheless, Windows Update claims that the driver was:
Successfully installed on ‎4.‎3.‎2021
Successfully installed on ‎3.‎3.‎2021
Successfully installed on ‎2.‎3.‎2021
Successfully installed on ‎1.‎3.‎2021
Successfully installed on ‎28.‎2.‎2021
etc.

II have studied many forums, if you sum up the answers, then it looks like this: "Windows Update" blames "HP driver" and  "HP driver" blames "Windows Update".

Am I correct that Windows does not have the latest driver from HP, which I've installed manually with HP software?

2 REPLIES 2
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
31,191 30,905 5,327 12,408
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi,
Try following below steps to resolve such an error, by removing the unknown device from the Printers list in Device Manager.
  1. Search Windows for device manager, then click Device Manager in the list of results.
  2. Click Printers.
  3. Right-click Unknown device, then select Uninstall to remove it.
  4. Click Retry in the Windows Update and check for any difference.

Reference: https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c05214529

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
WindowLinuxUser
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for the answer. Unfortunately there are no Unknown devices under Device Manager, and only one printer (I guess a correct one for LaserJet Pro M15w?)

printers.PNG

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation