Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8715
macOS 10.12 Sierra

A few months ago I installed HP Smart 2.0 on my Macbook Pro 15 in 2017 (2.8 GHz Intel Core i7) running OS 10.12.6 and successfully used it to wirelessly scan from my HP Officejet Pro 8715.  Today, every time I try to open HP Smart 2.0, a window starts to appear then the application immediately crashes. I cleaned up my directory with fsck -fy.  I ran disk first aid.  But didn't solve the problem.   I redownloaded and reinstalled HP Smart 2.0 over the application already installed, but the crashes still occur (although, I don't know how much of the application actually got replaced).  

Anyone know what the problem might be? Or how to completely uninstall HP Smart 2.0, including all the preference and other files that are installed in the system folder, so that I can try an installation from clean slate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JJLi

The Library folder contains personalization, preference and cache files of HP Smart app. Let's try removing HP Smart App and it's associated files from the Library folder:

1.) Open Finder and click Applications

2.) Move HP Smart App to Trash and clear the Trash.

3.) Open Finder then click Go and Click Home.

4.) Click View then Click Show View Options. Check the box Show Library Folder.

The change is instantaneous and the Library folder will immediately becomes visible.

5.) Open Library and Open Application Support, move HP Smart folder to Trash and clear the Trash

6.) Download and install HP Smart App from here.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JJLi

The Library folder contains personalization, preference and cache files of HP Smart app. Let's try removing HP Smart App and it's associated files from the Library folder:

1.) Open Finder and click Applications

2.) Move HP Smart App to Trash and clear the Trash.

3.) Open Finder then click Go and Click Home.

4.) Click View then Click Show View Options. Check the box Show Library Folder.

The change is instantaneous and the Library folder will immediately becomes visible.

5.) Open Library and Open Application Support, move HP Smart folder to Trash and clear the Trash

6.) Download and install HP Smart App from here.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Step 6 link gives me a 404 error

HP Recommended

@HanaHeidi wrote:

Step 6 link gives me a 404 error

Go to the new 123.hp.com and download from there

HP Recommended

I have the same problem , using OS 10:14:5 , cannot get APP to launch , opens then freezes. Can still use printer, but  

would like to use all functions (have tried the suggested fix).

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue. The HP Smart software crashes upon opening. I can still print and copy, but this prevents me from using the scanner function. I've followed the above steps and when I reinstall the same thing happens after I agree to the terms and conditions. 

HP Recommended

@JKEITH52, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Let us try creating a new user account and try installing the HP Smart App. Follow the steps below:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.

2. Click the lock icon  to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.

3. Click the Add button  below the list of users.

4. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.

5. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.

6. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Enter a password hint to help the user remember their password.

7. Click Create User.

Now login to the new user account and install the HP Smart App. Try printing/scanning.

If you still have issues, you can run the disk utility to further isolate the issue. Here is how you do it:

1. Choose Apple menu  > Restart. After your Mac restarts (some Mac computers play a startup sound), press and hold the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears, then release the keys.

2. Click Disk Utility, then click Continue.

3. Choose View > Show All Devices.

4. In the sidebar, select the disk you want to repair.

5. Click the First Aid button 

If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back up your data and replace the disk. You can’t repair it. Otherwise, continue to the next step.

6. Click Run.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.